PDA

View Full Version : Antique Bench Hinges

Keel McDonald
08-26-2005, 7:31 AM
Good morning creekers. I recently built this "antique" bench out of some old wood I salvaged from an old barn on my grandmother's place (I think it's probably oak). I got the design from surfing the internet looking at various "antique" benches. Does anyone have any idea what type of hinges would be appropriate for the lid? I built a similar bench about a year ago and just put regular butt hinges on it, but they really didn't seem to go with the style. Thanks for any help.

Mike Cutler
08-26-2005, 8:30 AM
Iron strap hinges, or thick, oiled leather strapping hammered into the top and back with square headed nails, bent over on the backside.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-26-2005, 9:42 AM
Possibly some wrought iron hinges? Nice job BTW

Randy Meijer
08-27-2005, 2:12 AM
Piano hinges have been around for a long time......don't know if you would consider them to be "antique" or not? You can buy chemicals from stained glass shops(and probably other places as well) that would create a nice patina on the metal and give it the appearance of being as old as the wood.

Jim Knauss
08-27-2005, 6:46 AM
Nice job, How bout Leather?

Keel McDonald
08-30-2005, 7:25 AM
Jim & Mike,

I like the idea of the leather. I would like to see pictures of anything with leather hinges on it. I have an old lether belt of my late dad's that I think would be a nice touch. I am a bit concerned about the nails holding in such old wood. Has anybody out there ever used leather hinges and have pics?

Thanks for all the replies!

Keel McDonald
11-07-2005, 8:57 AM
Sorry it's taken so long to post pics of this project. I ordered some "antique" style nails. I was a bit apprehensive about whether or not they would hold in the old wood, but to my surprise, they held GREAT! :) In fact, I would probably have a difficult time backing them out. This was a very satisfying project for me. It was something created as an heirloom for my family. The most difficult part of the project was getiting the wood to a workable state (straight edges, square ends) without destroying the character of the aged wood. LOML loves it!