PDA

View Full Version : help with a 'one off' glass engraving job - UK only

Graham Taylor
09-24-2015, 11:59 AM
I have been asked to price up a one off engraving job on a glass piece (5cm x 6cm x 1.7cm) that someone has dropped and would like replacing.

From the pictures supplied to me (see below), the heart appears to be quite deeply engraved into the glass. I realise that I wont be able to do that part with the laser but engraving the the text should be ok. Can you buy pieces like this?

This is not the sort of thing I usually do and so dont have anything even remotly simillar to the piece. If anyone has anything similar that they could use would you be interested in pricing up the job? I realise that for many, doing a one off job like this wont be financially viable but I thought I would ask on the off chance that someone has one of these liying around doing nothing or acting as a paper weight.

I would like to be able to give them an answer by COP tomorrow which is short notice I know but 'if you dont ask, you dont get'.

Cheers all.

P.S. I managed to fix the weld issues I was having (not sure how but I did it) so thanks for the help on that one.

Ross Moshinsky
09-24-2015, 12:10 PM
My guess is that piece comes with the heart already there and then it's personalized afterwards. What you need to do is source the piece, which may or may not be possible. It's very likely it came from a gift shop but who knows.

Otherwise the best you can do is get close by buying a piece of glass from a UK vendor and provide a similar design which you will engrave.

Graham Taylor
09-24-2015, 12:31 PM
My guess is that piece comes with the heart already there and then it's personalized afterwards. What you need to do is source the piece, which may or may not be possible. It's very likely it came from a gift shop but who knows.

Otherwise the best you can do is get close by buying a piece of glass from a UK vendor and provide a similar design which you will engrave.

Thats what I thought. Have had a search but cant find anything similar (Googling isnt my strong suit) and as its not the sort of thing I usually do, I dont have a list of sites that would sell these things bookmarked.

Thanks for the reply - I will keep on looking

John Bion
09-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Hi Graham, I can do that for you - I’ll send you a PM
Kind regards, John

Graham Taylor
09-24-2015, 1:23 PM
Hi Graham, I can do that for you - I’ll send you a PM
Kind regards, John

PM replied to

John Bion
10-19-2015, 12:41 PM
Hi Graham, I Tried attaching an image to a PM but did not seem to be able to do so, so here is an example:

Scott Shepherd
10-19-2015, 1:01 PM
As a side note, whoever did it originally, didn't do a very good job at it. That's some fuzzy engraving and rough looking heart.

Kev Williams
10-19-2015, 2:01 PM
I'm betting whoever did it didn't use a laser. Too much trouble to laser etch New Hermes double line script when there's so many nice laserable script fonts available...