PDA

View Full Version : Laser skipping areas

Junior hall
09-23-2015, 6:02 PM
The other day i was using my laser engraver and all of a sudden it started skipping a area the entire way across the mirror. Also today i was engraving a piece of wood and done the same thing. Any one know why this happened , and how to fix the problem. All rails are greased. The pieces are dead center of the machine. Here is the picture.321986

Mark Sipes
09-23-2015, 6:11 PM
Your sure there is nothing blocking the beam in that area. Not the art if two different jobs did the same thing. Same area on the table???

Junior hall
09-23-2015, 6:14 PM
Mark Sipes nothing is in the way of the beam. I have a piece of news paper over top of the mirror so it does not reflect the beam back into the tube. It has done this on wood also skipes the entire way across

Dave Sheldrake
09-23-2015, 6:28 PM
Make sure all the interlocks aren't loose or faulty....they stop the beam from firing, they don't stop the machine moving normally.

Mark Sipes
09-23-2015, 8:04 PM
Junior my question was, Does it skip engraving at the same location on the table mirror and wood?? or at random. If you run the job twice does it skip at the same place..

Dan Hintz
09-23-2015, 8:06 PM
I have a piece of news paper over top of the mirror so it does not reflect the beam back into the tube.

Huh? I don't think this does what you think it does...

Joe Pelonio
09-23-2015, 8:27 PM
My first tube did that, and it was time for replacement. It was still on the initial 2 year warranty at the time, fortunately, because when I replaced the second one two years later the cost was $2,300.

Junior hall
09-23-2015, 9:27 PM
NO matter where i place the mirror or wood it does it no matter where i put any thing it still does the same exact thing is skips that area..

Joe Pelonio The techs are wanting to see another piece of wood and if it still does it they are going to check the settings on Engravelab and also test voltage meter and also the laser tube. Also they are going to check and see if my tube is still under warranty. I hope so because i dern sure dont got a extra 854 bucks with shipping.

Dave Sheldrake You said interlocks excuse my ignorance what is that and where are they at. I will have to look for the manual for the software. The machine didn't come with a software grrrrrrrrrrr

Dan Hintz

Huh? I don't think this does what you think it does.

SHHHHHHHH please dont tell me it doesn't work with the paper over the mirror so not to bounce the laser back into the tube. After i have done about 150 mirrors and watched several YouTube videos. AND seen this being done and suggested to use news paper ( wet ).. Also the techs at BossLaser said not to do this on the mirror its self only do the laser engraving on the back of the mirror.... GRRRR about to chew rail road spikes and 16 penny nails. After watching YouTube videos come to find out cant do engraving on mirrors only back side of mirrors. And Dan Hitze said Huh? I don't think this does what you think it does. LOL about to freaken scream bloody murder..

I just dont under stand seeing it done on YouTube with the misty wet news paper and they said it works. Go figure more dern lies... This puts a stop to doing mirrors all together thanks BossLaser and thanks Genius Dan Hintze LOL SMILE DAN

Dave Sheldrake
09-23-2015, 9:37 PM
Damp newspaper is to prevent localised heat causing chips, if the beam can get through the paper then it can get back through the paper.

and also test voltage meter and also the laser tube.

ummm sticking a voltage meter on the tube isn't going to end well. Think "Hand grenade" for a rough idea of what is going to happen.

Dave Sheldrake You said interlocks excuse my ignorance what is that and where are they at.

when you lift the lid the machine should switch off the beam, if the interlock is faulty or badly adjusted it can cause intermittent faults.

The back side of a mirror is just as reflective as the front on a glass mirror, all you see on the back is a coating over the silver nitrate (or similar chemical bonded surface)

Above all be careful Junior...this isn't a game to get into if you don't know what you are doing, the voltages involved can stop your heart and while not instantly fatal the end result can be the same.

You have a warranty? if so get them to fix it

Scott Shepherd
09-23-2015, 10:06 PM
$854 plus shipping for a Chinese tube? Sounds extremely high.

Kev Williams
09-23-2015, 10:09 PM
As for the "paper over the mirror"- when I first read that, I wasn't thinking about engraving a mirror, I was thinking the mirror above the lens... oops!

As for the skipping-- I'm wondering if the skipping is specific to the text in the picture, or ANY text. The reason being, more than once I've had something engrave I didn't think was going to, and vice versa-- and it had to do with a second color hiding above or beneath the original color. What I saw on the screen is not what I got. Just wondering if something like that is going on. Just a rambling thought, but I would think if the laser was going out, the skipped area would be more like areaS, plural, and more random. The pic shows probably 40 raster lines totally blank, then full-on power again...

Keith Winter
09-23-2015, 10:15 PM
Mark Sipes nothing is in the way of the beam. I have a piece of news paper over top of the mirror so it does not reflect the beam back into the tube. It has done this on wood also skipes the entire way across

This sounds like a bad idea I don't think the newsprint will protect your tube. You might have done in the tube or something to a mirror would be my guess if it's always in the same place regardless of where you move the substrate. Does it do the same thing if you change the design?

Mark Sipes
09-23-2015, 10:22 PM
NO matter where i place the mirror or wood it does it no matter where i put any thing it still does the same exact thing is skips that area..

Sounds like a software, software, software,,,,,,,,,gletch... Is there a way to test blocks of download memory....bad chip?

or just another quality investment.

Keith Colson
09-24-2015, 12:02 AM
Yes Mark

That was what I was thinking. Maybe the image is not pure black or something like that.

You can measure the voltage but you need a high voltage meter not a toolbox cheapie. You can also use a few resistors and a cheap meter too. But this is pointless as the current is what counts and a cheap meter works fine there. You do need to hook it to the low voltage end if you don't like surpises.

But as Mark said, if it repeats consistently no matter where in the machine you plase the engrave, then software issues bubble to the top of the list.

Cheers
Keith

Mayo Pardo
09-24-2015, 12:17 AM
Junior: A few questions and a few thoughts -

Are you trying a different design on the wood or the same design as on the glass?
If it's the same design as the glass job, try a different design on the wood or on a scrap of anything.

Does the missing area on the glass happen to have the crease from the newspaper over that area?
If it does and it is not laying flat, that would possibly change the appearance of the engraving although probably not as defined as it shows up in your photo. That leads me to believe it's either something invisible in the drawing or something is blocking your laser beam when it gets to that same area.

In Engravelab there should be a menu item across the top called VIEW. I don't have Engravelab but it's practically the same program as Signlab.

When you click VIEW and the drop down menu opens up, do you have SHOW FILL selected?
If it is selected, try unchecking it so that you see a wireframe view of everything. This might make it easier to see if there is a white or blank rectangle laying over your lettering. If there is, delete it. If you normally work in wireframe then click SHOW FILL so that you see everything as solid colors and you may notice a white rectangle laying over your text.

When you create new jobs or designs to engrave do you normally leave your existing drawing open and just create the new work or do you save the existing file and then create a new drawing? The reason I ask is because you may have the invisible part staying with each job for various possible reasons -

If you do several different designs in the same place on your drawing area and you don't know that invisible part is there, it will get sent to the engraver depending on your selections of what you are telling the software to engrave. In the Cut or Engrave settings in Engravelab you may have the option to cut or engrave the Page, the Window, the Sign Blank, or Selected. Depending which you select, some things may or may not engrave. There's also the cut or engrave By Color option.

Another reason could be the invisible part is being loaded with each new drawing you start if you happen to have the "Automatic Load Enabled" setting checked. This was in Signlab under the OPTIONS, Automatic Save, then it appeared underneath Automatic Save Enabled. I'm not sure if it's in the same place in Engravelab 9 - you can click the built in HELP menu and do a search for it if it's not there. Basically when you start the program it will load the last drawing you did before you closed the program. So if that drawing contained something weird, it will still be there.

Lastly, if it's something physically blocking the laser beam in that specific location, try moving the laser head to that area and (with power off) make sure there isn't something along the path that the laser has to take.
If you have air assist on the laser head, is the air hose moving and blocking the beam when it gets to that spot on the table? Make sure the laser mirrors are all secure and not moving around - this would probably make for a more erratic result than your photo shows if they were loose though.

I hope you get it sorted out!

Dan Hintz
09-24-2015, 6:23 AM
As for the "paper over the mirror"- when I first read that, I wasn't thinking about engraving a mirror, I was thinking the mirror above the lens... oops!

I thought the same when I wrote my reply, but now I see he's talking about the mirror he's engraving...

The paper is useless for what you describe, Junior. The 10.6um wavelength of a CO2 laser barely makes it a few hundred micrometers into glass, so it never has a chance to reach the silvered side for a reflection to happen.

Junior hall
09-24-2015, 6:57 AM
I will let them do the voltage thing i am afraid of electricity. Only get one chance with electric.

When i did the text it skipped and also when i did a picture it skipped also no matter where i place the wood or glass or mirror it skipped. I think i will uninstall engravelab v9 and reinstall it.

They said that they will check the settings and the voltage or for me to let them know the voltage on the meter above the lcd screen on the machine it self.. Also will check the mirrors as i even took the lens apart and cleaned it good as i found on there Bosslaser engrave Youtube video.

Mayo Pardo the news paper is flat no creases no nothing smooth and flat no creasing

Keith Olson i even use my vector art cd and it still skips. I also use there pictures that are all ready on engravelab and it still skipps. As this i didn't understand why skipping

Scott Shepherd the 854 is including shipping sorry

Dave Sheldrake I do not play with electric i do not even put in a new light bulb i leanred the hard way about electric and a alarm clock plug that was bad can i say bad hair day whats left of my hair. So i do not mess with electric no matter how low or how high No light bulbs no plugs i get some one else to do that leanred the hard way Knocked me back on my a_s

I will also check and see about the interlock make sure they are nice and tight.

yes i still have a warranty i think they are going to check for me. As it was late for them same time zone theya re in Florida and i am in North Carolina 3 states down from me

Kev Williams but I would think if the laser was going out, the skipped area would be more like areaS, plural, and more random. The pic shows probably 40 raster lines totally blank, then full-on power again...

This is what got me so confused it starts off good then goes ( stupid )to skipping then goes back to full power. Im lost as it has me confused.

Mark Sipes i think i will just uninstall the software and reinstall the software ( engravelab v9 )

Thanks Keith Colson this is why i am thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling the engravelab software thanks

Mayo Pardo In Engravelab there should be a menu item across the top called VIEW. I don't have Engravelab but it's practically the same program as Signlab.

When you click VIEW and the drop down menu opens up, do you have SHOW FILL selected?
If it is selected, try unchecking it so that you see a wireframe view of everything. This might make it easier to see if there is a white or blank rectangle laying over your lettering. If there is, delete it. If you normally work in wireframe then click SHOW FILL so that you see everything as solid colors and you may notice a white rectangle laying over your text.

I will check this and see if it is checked

When you create new jobs or designs to engrave do you normally leave your existing drawing open and just create the new work or do you save the existing file and then create a new drawing? The reason I ask is because you may have the invisible part staying with each job for various possible reasons -

I normally use my cd vector art or unless i google a (_ ? vector art ) and then save it then vectorize it even thow it might be all ready vectorized and if it is all ready then it will tell me.. The only thing i do with out any pictures are if i do a word a text then that's it . That is not in my vector art book cd or i snag it off the internet.

I always delete the file off the machine and off of the engravelab in engravelab view i do not save nothing.

Keith Winter i am thinking the same thing since BossLaser and Dan Hintze said not to do this. As i seen it on YouTube to dampen the news paper so not to reflect the beam back into the tube and well i will not ever do a mirror a again unless on the back and then probably wont do mirrors period

Thanks for all your help thanks so very very much

Jerome Stanek
09-24-2015, 10:19 AM
what is the power of your tube and what kind are you looking for

Junior hall
09-24-2015, 10:27 AM
I have a 60 watt tube... I am going to wait and see if it is the tube ( crossing my fingers hoping its not the tube )

What i am so confused about is. When it starts to engrave it does fine then it skips then engraves fine again until finished Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.. I will wait until the tech support guys let me know if it is in fact the tube and if it is under warranty still

Kev Williams
09-24-2015, 12:44 PM
In your photo, all I see is the word THE, and part of the next word...

1- Is "THE" actual text, or part of a photo, or vector graphic, or ?

2- Have you run a test to see if the laser skips the same way with any other text or graphic, of similar size and in roughly in the same place?

If not, run a test and see what happens--

If it doesn't skip on other text or graphics, then it's likely the graphic/text you're engraving is sending the laser a "blind spot" for some reason. Could be the graphic is disconnected somewhere, or hiding "white" on a lower layer...

If it DOES skip in the same general area and about the same size, then?? Maybe a memory issue in the controller?

(just stabbing in the dark hoping to hit something!) ;)

Junior hall
09-24-2015, 2:25 PM
Kev Williams The word is THE DISPATCH it skipped the entire way across..I Have tried doing pictures from my vector art cd and it does the same thing it skips areas no matter where i place the wood or mirror (not doing mirrors no more ever ). It has never done this before until recently.As this is why i am confused. EACH TIME a engrave is done i delete it from the machine and also delete it from the engravelab default list. With engravelab it saves things and i delete them each time i am done with a job. I am going to let the techs figure it all out before it becomes a nice yard ornament some thing else i got to weed eat and cut around.

Might go to Wal Mart and get CHa CHa Chi Pet and see if it will grow on my head to replace the hair i lost

Scott Marquez
09-24-2015, 3:38 PM
I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around what is "skipping"
Can you do some tests on wood? How about making a 5" box and circle, set your program to raster completely, then cut out, this will tell us a lot of things.
Scott

Junior hall
09-24-2015, 3:56 PM
Scott Marquez i sure will boss as soon as it a stops thundering and lightening

Bert Kemp
09-24-2015, 4:34 PM
Junior reading all the posts I haven't seen this mentioned sorry if I missed it someplace.
Are you watching the engraving? Is the laser head moving back and forth over the unengraved area. or does the gantry jump or skip as you call it down several lines and keeps engraving.

Junior hall
09-24-2015, 4:40 PM
Bert Kemp Yes sir it moves over the unengraved areas with out even engraving. It starts engraving and finishes then when it slowly moves like it normally does it just does not engrave that particular area at all and goes to the next area and engraves like it suppose to.

Bill George
09-24-2015, 5:54 PM
Loose or out of focus mirrors or lens. Could also be loose control wiring in the terminals.

Jerome Stanek
09-24-2015, 7:18 PM
Have you checked out Rabbit or Automation Technologies for a replacement tube. I have a 60 watt and automation has it for $355 plus shipping for me that is $27.75

Bert Kemp
09-24-2015, 7:32 PM
Yep Boss has there tubes way over priced, Rabbit Laser or Auto tech much cheaper Junior.

Have you checked out Rabbit or Automation Technologies for a replacement tube. I have a 60 watt and automation has it for $355 plus shipping for me that is $27.75

Joe Pelonio
09-24-2015, 8:13 PM
It's sounding more like software to me now, when my tube went out the skipping was random all over the entire 12"x24" area. Have you tried cutting? Put a big scrap of something in there and send a job with concentric circles and see if it skips
on vector mode.

Bill George
09-24-2015, 8:22 PM
So far I still don't understand is it skipping the same letters or graphics every time or skipping at random on any job. I read the entire Thread and that question has never been answered?