PDA

View Full Version : Any way to get the waste wood out first?

Wade Lippman
09-23-2015, 12:30 PM
I am making something to hold an iced tea decanter. It is basically a 10" diameter plate, 1.5" thick. The center portion will be reduced to 0.5", with a 0.25" rim around. Some maybe a really short bowl rather than a plate. That is a lot of wood to remove. I frequently use a forstner bit to remove wood before I take a gouge to the inside of a bowl; perhaps there is something similar here? Any ideas? Maybe something with a router? Anyone lend me a 9.5" forstner bit?

Shawn Pachlhofer
09-23-2015, 12:34 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here - but a bowl gouge or a scraper (if you're Reed Gray :) ) will remove all of the wood inside your "shallow bowl" or "deep platter" in a matter of minutes.

In fact - it would be quicker to just turn it out than it would be to set up a drill with a forstner bit, then switch to gouges.

Roger Chandler
09-23-2015, 1:07 PM
I agree with Shawn.......if you are going to turn something anyway, something like you describe can be done in a couple of minutes with a bowl gouge and if you want straight edges on the inside edge of your bead, then use a square scraper. Seems like all the setup with a forstner bit or router would be wasting a lot of time.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-23-2015, 1:23 PM
Did you want to save the wood? You could core it out, but I agree with the above. Just takes me a minute with a 5/8 gouge to get that waste wood out. Coring takes longer.

Brian Kent
09-23-2015, 3:13 PM
On plates I use an almost square scraper - very slight convex arc. I make sure it is freshly sharpened and then use a diamond hone if it is on a wood prone to tear out. It takes about a minute to remove the bulk of the wood and the rest of the time is fine-tuning the surface.

Tom Brouillette
09-23-2015, 3:40 PM
To me, that is the funnest part of turning - making the big curlies and getting knee-deep in fluffy wood. It is also when you test your technique and tooling.

Reed Gray
09-23-2015, 5:36 PM
Yea, like others have said, much easier to turn it out than it is to drill it out. Well, unless you don't know how to keep your tools sharp.

robo hippy

Leo Van Der Loo
09-23-2015, 9:49 PM
You mean something like these ??

I use a bowl gouge and maybe a scraper to finesse, a skew for the lines in the square platter, but yes basically all you need is a bowl gouge and sand to smooth.

322005 322006