PDA

View Full Version : Cedar scraps in a wood stove - bad idea?

Roger Chandler
09-23-2015, 10:54 AM
I have burned wood in our wood stove for over 22 years. I got a large cedar tree some months ago and have to turn several projects for people. Some of this tree is not fit for use because of the infestation of really large black carpenter ants.

I was wondering if I could burn the scraps in our woodstove this winter, as I use the good wood for turning as I go along. I have always burned oak, and a few others like locust. Did not know if the burnng of cedar would create problems with creosote build up in the stove pipe or chimney? Anyone know for sure?

Steve Peterson
09-23-2015, 11:07 AM
The cedar that grows around here is good stuff. It burns clean and very hot. It works best as the first load to build a good bed of coals for the oak.

Steve

Reed Gray
09-23-2015, 11:21 AM
Probably fine as kindling, but not good for over night fires, and high BTU burning. Mostly western red cedar here. I think the incense cedar is a bit more dense.

robo hippy

Roger Chandler
09-23-2015, 11:47 AM
I am referring to eastern red cedar....any differences?

Marty Tippin
09-23-2015, 11:48 AM
Eastern red cedar ("Aromatic cedar") burns pretty hot. I'd probably mix it in with other wood, a stick here and there. Also excellent for kindling as Reed says. Or just turn it into shavings and your shop will smell good all winter... ;-)

Roger Chandler
09-23-2015, 11:50 AM
Thanks guys! :)

Dave B West
09-23-2015, 1:23 PM
Burning old cedar power poles always worked for us. Burns hot, so works great with the wood stove. Also smoky, so wouldn't use with an open fireplace.

David Walser
09-23-2015, 2:08 PM
Roger -- I've not burned eastern cedar, so I cannot say whether or not burning eastern cedar builds up creosote more quickly than other woods. However, in a prior life I was a chimney sweep. (I thought it would be a good way to earn money while I was in college.) Based on that experience, I believe burning eastern cedar will build up creosote more quickly than would burning less resinous woods, such as oak. However, a bigger factor in creosote build up is the temperature of the flue gasses. With high-efficiency stoves and fireplaces, the temperature of the flue gasses can be fairly low. This makes it easier for the creosote to condense on the inside of the flue. By opening the damper a bit more, your stove will be less efficient and will burn more wood. It will also draw better and there will be less creosote build up. (The flue might show an increase of light, fluffy, black soot. Which is a problem in its own right, but it's easier to deal with than shiny, tar-like creosote.) In addition to opening up the stove so it breathes better, the other thing you can do to reduce creosote build up is to get the flue good and hot when you first start a fire. This will help prevent condensation of the flue gasses on the cold metal of the flue once you've turned the fire down a bit.

Of course, the best protection against a chimney fire is to regularly inspect the inside of the flue. Flue brushes are inexpensive. Cleaning out the flue when needed is cheap fire insurance.

Roger Chandler
09-23-2015, 2:32 PM
Roger -- I've not burned eastern cedar, so I cannot say whether or not burning eastern cedar builds up creosote more quickly than other woods. However, in a prior life I was a chimney sweep. (I thought it would be a good way to earn money while I was in college.) Based on that experience, I believe burning eastern cedar will build up creosote more quickly than would burning less resinous woods, such as oak. However, a bigger factor in creosote build up is the temperature of the flue gasses. With high-efficiency stoves and fireplaces, the temperature of the flue gasses can be fairly low. This makes it easier for the creosote to condense on the inside of the flue. By opening the damper a bit more, your stove will be less efficient and will burn more wood. It will also draw better and there will be less creosote build up. (The flue might show an increase of light, fluffy, black soot. Which is a problem in its own right, but it's easier to deal with than shiny, tar-like creosote.) In addition to opening up the stove so it breathes better, the other thing you can do to reduce creosote build up is to get the flue good and hot when you first start a fire. This will help prevent condensation of the flue gasses on the cold metal of the flue once you've turned the fire down a bit.

Of course, the best protection against a chimney fire is to regularly inspect the inside of the flue. Flue brushes are inexpensive. Cleaning out the flue when needed is cheap fire insurance.

Thanks David. About 5 years ago, I had my chimney cleaned by a professional chimney sweep company, and the guys found my chimney to be in great shape without any creosote in it. He said that if everyone burned wood like I do, there would be no chimney fires. I only build a fire when it gets really cold outside, and we have a propane furnace for most heating.

The bottom floor of our house is block walls with brick on the outside, and when it gets cold the walls just radiate the cold from the outside, so when my wife gets to complaining that she can't get warm, I fire up the wood stove, and get it pretty warm in a hurry.

I think I will just use a little of the cedar scraps at a time along with the oak......just did not want to create a problem as I have never burned cedar before, and felt like it would be okay in small amounts along with the regular wood I burn.

Thanks again for your input!

david privett
09-24-2015, 6:57 PM
I agree burn the cedar mixed with other hardwoods you should have no problems