PDA

View Full Version : Multi saw shared outfeed table

Trevor Hutton
09-23-2015, 1:03 AM
I've been setting up my shop in a semi permanent fashion now that I'm in my "forever" house. I've envisioned a mega-saw station with the bandsaw on the left, some surface between it and the table saw on the right. Then something like an 8 foot wide, four+ foot deep outfeed surface behind the two. I may even incorporate a space for the router in the outfeed table. I haven't seen any sort of setup like this in pictures or described anywhere. Do you think I'd run into troubles with any particular operations?

Matt Day
09-23-2015, 7:48 AM
If the outfeed for the bandsaw is the same outfeed as the TS, you wouldn't be able to stand in front of the BS, right? Guess it depends exactly where "on the left" you mean. This sounds like a great exercise to do on paper or Sketchup.

Brian Tymchak
09-23-2015, 8:33 AM
If I'm envisioning your layout correctly, where the sawing operations of the BS and TS move in the same direction (not towards each other) I guess the question would be how long of a piece would you want to be able to crosscut on the table saw. I'm betting that you will have roughly 5' or so between the TS blade and the BS blade. It likely comes down to what you plan to do in your shop.

WRT to off-feed space, if you want to rip full sheets of plywood or long lumber on your TS, you will want a longer off-feed from the TS . Agree with Matt on drawing out the solution, but also would advise that you think through what methods you will use to handle the larger boards and sheet goods. Maybe adding roller stands, or use a track saw, etc. If you want to rip long sheets or boards on the TS, you will likely also want to have a plan for in-feed support.