PDA

View Full Version : Finding sawyer in my area

Clay Fails
09-21-2015, 9:56 PM
Is this forum an appropriate place to find a sawmill in my area? I'm looking for a reliable mill to cut some trees for me, and am having trouble. If it's OK to use this forum for that purpose I'll give more info. Thanks.

Tom Hogard
09-21-2015, 10:13 PM
It would help if you could put in what your area was. If no one close by volunteers, I can send you some links to a couple of sawmill finder sites on the web.

Clay Fails
09-21-2015, 10:23 PM
Thanks Tom. I'm located near Erie PA, bordered by Lake Erie and NY State.

Tom Hogard
09-22-2015, 5:16 PM
Clay,

Most states have a forestry department that maintains a listing of those in the industry; loggers, sawmills, secondary users, tree farms, etc. I couldn't find anything like that for Pennsylvania but did locate a listing through the Pennsylvania Forestry Products Association. There are specialty sites like www.portablesawmill.info (which lists 10 sawmills in Pennsylvania) and searchable directories are maintained by forums like www.sawmilltrader.com, www.woodweb.com, www.forestryforum.com, etc.

These sources are helpful for finding a milling operation near you... if the sawyer is open to new clients and wants to be listed. Word of mouth is an excellent resource, if you know the right people to ask. Quite frankly, some sawyers are not adept at marketing their services and disregard the potential of the web, social media sites, etc.

John Grace
09-27-2015, 1:30 PM
For what it's worth. I went to Craig's List and did a search for 'saw mills' and found a number of people that have/work portable sawmills in your area. Hope this helps...

Cody Colston
09-27-2015, 4:32 PM
On Woodmizer's web site, under the "Services" tab, click on "Find a Local Sawyer."