PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help estimate the value of these vintage drill bits?

Valk Wilkinson
09-21-2015, 9:09 PM
Long story short. Friends of mine were decimated by Sandy. Father was a woodworker. He passed away during the repair of their home. A bunch of us are kicking in to help where we can. These were in his garage. Trying to see what I should ask for them. Every penny helps. I'm really not familiar with these vintage tools but figured maybe some of you guys would be. Thank you.

1) First is a set of Russel Jennings auger bits. Also a few Irwins in there as spares and 3 adjustable bits with spare inserts. An extension, and 3 more that were not in the case, as well as a long "shipwright" bit. Some look like they were never used. These all have the diamond type shaft for a hand brace.

2) Full set of brand new vintage spade bits. Still wax coating on the tips. One still has packaging that looks to be circa "long ass time ago". Also couple of spares.

3) Set of vintage Milwaukee Forstner bits. Hex shanks. Again all have wax covering still on them. Sizes 2 9/16" to 1 1/4".

4) Set of hex/round shank auger bits made by Milwaukee. Sizes 1 1/2" to 3/4" with a couple of doubles and a 3/4 "shipwright" bit, a long shaft 3/4 and a 3/8. Most have the new wax coating on the heads.

I realize they are not going to retire on the money from selling these but all these little things add up and they need all the help they can get. I guess the question I'm asking is what would you guys sell these for? Again thanks for any help.

Prashun Patel
09-21-2015, 11:00 PM
If this thread starts looking like a classified ad, i will move it. If you would like to help the poster, pm him, please.

Andrew Pitonyak
09-22-2015, 4:41 PM
Sorry for your loss....

I have been helping a local person liquidate his Father's estate containing a bunch of similar items. I started by trying to find the "low hanging fruit", but, that is another story.

Some of the items you might be able to guess the new price such as the Milwaukee bits by starting with a google search. After you know the new price, well, then you have to balance how fast you want to sell them against how much money you before you are willing to part with them compared to just donating them and taking a tax write-off. For the record, you will find wildly differing (strongly held) opinions on what something is worth after it has been used. Problem is, I don't get a warranty for the parts from you. I just usually assume 50% expect in special cases for premium tools.

Some of those bits are sufficiently standard that they should be easy to find similar items with a google search. A quick peek says that this one bit is about $25 delivered to my door new

www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-25-5143-2-1-SwitchBlade-Bit/dp/B004TW675M

So, would I pay you $12 plus shipping? Probably not. Would I pay you $12 delivered? Probably so (well, if I needed or wanted one at the moment). Might even pay $15 delivered, but that is just a question of the markup after you figure out the cost.

The vintage bits, especially since there is a known name with them, I think that you can still google them. For example, I saw 6 bits on ebay for $19. I do not know if that had active bidding or was a buy it now because I did not follow the link

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Russell+Jennings+auger+bits

Espcially with the older used items, if you have any ability to determine how sharp they are, that might be useful for setting the price.

I hope that this helps at least a little.

Tom M King
09-22-2015, 4:52 PM
Those Milwaukee "forstner" bits are not forstner bits. They're self-feeding plumbing bits. I'm pretty sure they're still available, but probably made in China now and not as good quality as the ones you have.

Valk Wilkinson
09-22-2015, 9:11 PM
Thank you both for you help. I had looked at so many prices for different things that I just confused myself. After reading your posts it all kinda came clear. I'm gonna go ahead and make a listing for them in the classified section. Thanks again!

Tom M King
09-22-2015, 9:20 PM
Milwaukee changed the design of these plumbing bits a while back. I have some of both. I've had a set of the ones like these for over thirty years, and they're still my first choice. I put the newer ones in something that might have a nail because I don't want to damage the old ones. The self feeding lead screws are replaceable. This is one of the newer ones: http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-25-2562-Heavy-Duty-Selfeed/dp/B002E8XVYI/ref=sr_1_38?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1442970951&sr=1-38&refinements=p_4%3AMilwaukee The 2-9/16s bit if for 2" pipe.