PDA

View Full Version : Problem drying Holly

Valk Wilkinson
09-21-2015, 5:21 PM
I milled up some nice white Holly. Was wet as wet can be. Slowly trying to dry it and cut it into smaller chunks as it looses moisture. The small lumber I've milled warps abit but it at least dries and is useable. The problem comes when I try and make some bowl blanks. Can't seem to even get a small 7x7x2" blank to start drying without cracking. When I first cut the logs I sealed the ends with Anchorseal. Then split them and broke them down abit more sealing the end grain, even sealing entire blanks to try to slow the drying process. The blanks all crack (the round ones). I have plenty of 2x2x12 blanks that are fine. I've considered soaking them in Pentacryl but I think that will ruin the pure white color. Anyone have any ideas?

Dennis Ford
09-21-2015, 7:28 PM
It is much better to rough turn a wet bowl blank and dry that. Drying bowl size solids will have a high failure rate for most woods.

Charles Randal Smith
09-21-2015, 10:52 PM
I agree with Dennis. I have turned Holly in a variety of shapes, and it does crack, though less so if it is rough turned. Nevertheless, it is a beautiful wood to turn -- lovely shavings!

I found that if I rough-turned it wet and then boiled it, the incidence of cracking was significantly reduced. I boiled it for about an hour per inch of thickness.

Charles

Valk Wilkinson
09-21-2015, 10:56 PM
Thats the one thing I didn't try. Just figured there was no chance the way this stuff moves. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks!

John TenEyck
09-22-2015, 2:04 PM
I've dried bowl blanks roughed out on the bandsaw successfully by putting them in a plastic bag full of wet shavings and punching a few finger holes through the bag. Takes several months to dry but they rarely check. I check them occasionally to make sure they aren't getting funky. If they are, I wipe them with Clorox and transfer to a new bag with fresh shavings.

Valk Wilkinson
09-22-2015, 7:15 PM
Thats a good idea too. The one problem with them being wet for a long time is staining but that sounds like its worth trying. thank you.