PDA

View Full Version : Natural edge bowls

Dave Mcintire
09-21-2015, 3:47 PM
Anybody have any tips for keeping the bark on a natural edge turning?

daryl moses
09-21-2015, 4:00 PM
Freshly cut wood works the best. The bark starts to loosen up pretty fast after the trees been cut, especially if it's not been taken care of properly.
Some recommend CA glue to help hold it on.

Jeramie Johnson
09-21-2015, 4:02 PM
I have done a bunch with oak, silver maple and others, but the best was cutoffs from an Italian Plum tree, from a relative's farm here in WI. The grandfather planted it many moons ago.
Great exotic wood character and excellent bark.

My technique:
- When nearing any bark, make sure you are traveling to/into the bark. Otherwise you will lift the bark, rather than cut into it.
- CA glue is your best friend when working with these. I put a layer along the bark line, after a finish is on (reduces staining).

I hope to see other posts and pick up more tips.

Tom Brouillette
09-21-2015, 4:09 PM
My best luck has been finishing it green. If I leave them roughed out, the width of the bark doesn't seem able to keep up with the shrinkage and separates. These are recent red maple and oak.321842321843

Randy Red Bemont
09-21-2015, 4:18 PM
Nice work Tom. I like the second one the best. Need to mess around with some green wood.

Red

Thom Sturgill
09-21-2015, 5:50 PM
It also helps to get wood that is cut in the winter while the sap is down.

Bob Bergstrom
09-21-2015, 7:21 PM
The thinner the CA glue the more it will suck into the bark and wood. I have found Tightbond to soak in quick and set up fast. I have also used colored 5min epoxy to fill in gaps and cadaver bark to replace missing pieces.

Dave Bunge
09-22-2015, 10:37 PM
It also helps to get wood that is cut in the winter while the sap is down.

+1 on Thom's comment. My experience is if I use wood that was cut while the tree was dormant (late fall or winter) the bark sticks well, no need for CA, no need to hurry after cutting.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-23-2015, 1:17 AM
Anybody have any tips for keeping the bark on a natural edge turning?

Not all woods are having the bark tight on the wood, also as was mentioned, a tree cut later in the season or winter has the cambium thinner and stronger than early in the spring when the cambium is swollen en weaker than late in the year.

I use a original grind bowl gouge for turning bowls with the bark on, making sure that I cut into the bark and not have the heel of the gouge bump against the bark, damaging or even pushing it right off the wood.

I will also stop often and examine the bark retention and use CA to help strengthen the cambium layer if needed, even glueing the bark on if it loosens up.

When turning green wood you will have to keep an eye on the bark holding while the bowl is drying, as the wood and bark do not dry the same, especially the inner bark/cambium part of the bark dry to a thinner size than the wood.

Here are a few of the ones I have turned.

321953 321954 321955 321956 321957 321958 321959

daryl moses
09-23-2015, 7:34 AM
Very nice bowls Leo. #5 has me scratching my head, I really like it but can't see how you mounted it. Did you cut three separate tennons? Inquiring minds want to know.

Fred Belknap
09-23-2015, 7:43 AM
Leo pretty much sums it up. I might add that trees that have been laying on the ground for some time the bark on the side next to the ground probably will come loose. Some trees hold their bark much tighter than others, walnut is one of my favorite for making natural edge bowls. Natural edge bowls are my favorite to make.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-23-2015, 9:17 PM
Very nice bowls Leo. #5 has me scratching my head, I really like it but can't see how you mounted it. Did you cut three separate tennons? Inquiring minds want to know.

Daryl it has been a while, but yes it was turned with three mountings to make the separate bowls, I might have used a faceplate or a glued on tenon, I know I did turn the bottom/base holding it with my Oneway mega jumbo jaws, as seen in this picture.

daryl moses
09-24-2015, 6:34 PM
Daryl it has been a while, but yes it was turned with three mountings to make the separate bowls, I might have used a faceplate or a glued on tenon, I know I did turn the bottom/base holding it with my Oneway mega jumbo jaws, as seen in this picture.

Ahh, I see. Thanks!!
I've never attempted doing one like that, but as I have an over abundance of wood I think I will give it a go.
I have turned a few natural edge bowls, I have found that Sycamore is the easiest for me as it has a very thin and tight bark.
Thanks again, your turnings always give me inspiration.