PDA

View Full Version : The English Woodworker

ken hatch
09-21-2015, 2:50 PM
Just wondering how many on this forum keep up with "The English Woodworker's" posts and videos.

Many of my valuable takeaways have been from Richard's throwaway lines or watching how he sets something up such as his method of cutting half blind dovetails from the horizontal vs. vertical.

Anyway just curious if anyone else finds his work useful.

ken

Mike Brady
09-21-2015, 3:15 PM
His videos are very well-done and spare us the ego-tripping banter that his countryman Paul Sellers is so prone to. Even his video set-ups are artful, right now to the snick-snick of a sharp plane used well. Both are accomplished for sure, but Richard is so much easier to abide.

Barry Dima
09-21-2015, 3:22 PM
Updates about his blog go to my email and I'm subscribed to him on YouTube. Right now, I'm kicking around buying some lumber and a square or getting his spoon rack video. As near as I can tell, he's a fantastic teacher: succinct, funny, anticipatory of problems, and very clear. He reminds me of Graham Haydon but with more man bun.

As someone new to all this, he's one of my top five resources.

James Pallas
09-21-2015, 3:24 PM
Hi Ken I follow Richard's presentations on UT. I am not buying his premium presentations although have thought about it. I think his approach is interesting and he makes a living at it with his MacGuire Benches. He has some good info and just seems to do the work without much fanfare. Fun to watch.
Jim

Daniel Rode
09-21-2015, 3:28 PM
I like Richard's simple, no-frills approach. Very pragmatic, IMO.

I have absolutely no idea how he might be "ego-tripping" any more or less than Paul Seller's though.

I mostly ignore the philosophical ramblings of any woodworking instructor. I find them both interesting and have learned from both. Paul is clearly a more polished as presenter. I find Richard's stumbling speech and thick accent a bit tougher to follow but not enough to turn it off. I've never seen any of his paid videos. Perhaps they are better.

ken hatch
09-21-2015, 4:01 PM
I like Richard's simple, no-frills approach. Very pragmatic, IMO.

I have absolutely no idea how he might be "ego-tripping" any more or less than Paul Seller's though.

I mostly ignore the philosophical ramblings of any woodworking instructor. I find them both interesting and have learned from both. Paul is clearly a more polished as presenter. I find Richard's stumbling speech and thick accent a bit tougher to follow but not enough to turn it off. I've never seen any of his paid videos. Perhaps they are better.

Nope, what you see is what you get....Richard is Richard.

His three videos on setting the cap iron are some of the best woodworking videos I've seen on any subject.

ken

Simon MacGowen
09-21-2015, 4:37 PM

+1. A very hardworking presenter, but just not the type I could spend a lot of time watching and listening to his speech. No online or TV woodworking teachers out there will suit everyone's taste; even Norm Abram had had his share of naysayers. But I always prefer brief, to-the-point presentations and that's why Rob Cosman's 5-minute dovetail youtube vid is great, but not his long-winded monthly subscriptions.Tommy Mac is good, but his pace (as dictated by the producer) can be too fast for many beginners and he tends to skip or skim over some essential details when compared to Norm.

Ego-tripping? Paul Sellers, if he indeed was doing it (though I don't feel any from his free videos), is more than qualified to do so, I guess, given his huge following.

Simon

Mike Cherry
09-21-2015, 5:22 PM
I bought the spoon rack vids and they are fantastic. Personally, I like both him and Sellers. I don't detect an ego from either. We're frigging woodworkers not Sports Illustrated swimsuit models....well ok some of us are.

Pedro Reyes
09-21-2015, 7:38 PM
Just wondering how many on this forum keep up with "The English Woodworker's" posts and videos.

Many of my valuable takeaways have been from Richard's throwaway lines or watching how he sets something up such as his method of cutting half blind dovetails from the horizontal vs. vertical.

Anyway just curious if anyone else finds his work useful.

ken

I find him quite entertaining, I do try to follow him. On which video is this half blind dovetail approach?

As far as Paul Sellers, I don't find him ego-tripping at all, perhaps it is an accent perception thing. I met him in person back when he was in Waco, he seemed very humble and quite helpful, there is something to be said about someone who gets things done (on video) with a handful of non-specialized tools, on the opposite end of that spectrum I find Norm, who has a tool for each step.

The videos I find very entertaining and I don't even like Windsor chairs much, are Chris B's. He is so pleasant to listen to, so full of knowledge (albeit in a specialized and limited area), but that guy is just awesome to watch, and if you are into chair building, he is an expert from wood selection to joinery, to tool, the whole deal, entertaining and educational.

Pedro

Nick Stokes
09-22-2015, 10:53 AM
I love his Youtube content. I am at a phase where I can't get enough of it. I appreciate all of the different approaches offered by these guys. Richard, PS, Fidgen, Cosman, Shannon, and others... They are all different, some are better craftsman, and some are better "Teachers".

As for Richard (English Woodworker) I would love to see more from him.

ken hatch
09-22-2015, 11:28 AM
Pedro,

You will find his approach to sawing half blind dovetails on video #5 of the Spoon Rack series.

ken

Simon MacGowen
09-22-2015, 12:57 PM
offered by these guys. Richard, PS, Fidgen, Cosman, Shannon, and others... They are all different, some are better craftsman, and some are better "Teachers".

Looking at your list (and we can add 360 Woodworking to it), I just realized the pay-to-view field is crowded and it must not be easy to attract and retain subscribers.

Simon

Reinis Kanders
09-22-2015, 1:37 PM
How is 360 Woodworking? Seems very power tool centered, doesn't it?

Looking at your list (and we can add 360 Woodworking to it), I just realized the pay-to-view field is crowded and it must not be easy to attract and retain subscribers.

Simon

Steve Voigt
09-22-2015, 2:22 PM
He reminds me of Graham Haydon but with more man bun.

http://www.vox.com/2015/9/22/9370895/man-buns

Simon MacGowen
09-22-2015, 7:07 PM

Not a subscriber of any online school, but I think Chuck B. is very skilled in hand tools and does use hand tools in addition to power tools. I have met only two woodworkers in the past 20 years who are going solely with hand tools; 99% of the people in my local woodworking club or I know use both, especially for stock preparation (bandsaw, thickness planer etc.).

Simon

ken hatch
09-23-2015, 8:06 AM

That's been my take so far, might be a little blended but....

ken

Graham Haydon
09-23-2015, 1:20 PM
http://www.vox.com/2015/9/22/9370895/man-buns

Thanks Steve! I thought Barry might need me to head to the gym or something :D . Mr Maguire offers an excellent and down to earth option. I like the idea of one time payment with no subscription.

Chris Parks
09-23-2015, 7:51 PM
I think that online content appeal is a cultural thing as much as anything else. I find most of the American stuff is like watching a salesman pitch his wares and most of them drag it out with way too much detail and unnecessary chatter. The English style is more task centred and to the point and I prefer that.

Simon MacGowen
09-23-2015, 8:36 PM
I think that online content appeal is a cultural thing as much as anything else. I find most of the American stuff is like watching a salesman pitch his wares and most of them drag it out with way too much detail and unnecessary chatter. The English style is more task centred and to the point and I prefer that.

The unnecessary chatter is evident in many online presentations and DVDs. Most of the presentations can be cut in half and still the viewers will have nothing material to lose. I have watched all kinds of woodworking videos (and now DVDs) and only a minority of them are produced with the viewers' span of attention in mind. It is like they have to say something. The TV episodes are chatter-free because the half-hour length and the editing make them so. As they say, if they give them the time, they will fill it and that's what happens to many of these online presentations.

Simon

Derek Cohen
09-23-2015, 10:07 PM
The unnecessary chatter is evident in many online presentations and DVDs. Most of the presentations can be cut in half and still the viewers will have nothing material to lose. I have watched all kinds of woodworking videos (and now DVDs) and only a minority of them are produced with the viewers' span of attention in mind. It is like they have to say something. The TV episodes are chatter-free because the half-hour length and the editing make them so. As they say, if they give them the time, they will fill it and that's what happens to many of these online presentations.

Simon

The value of video presentation lies with the ability to demonstrate something. The Internet forums, too, offer the opportunity to show rather than describe.

I tend to watch with a wry smile when presenters forget that it is video, and so stand still and talk at the camera. What they should be doing is talking and demonstrating simultaneously. The camera moves to their face, when it at least could be trained on the tool or furniture or whatever object, with the discussion going in the background. Often the action only begins halfway through the time allocated .... by which time I have lost interest.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Steve Voigt
09-23-2015, 11:09 PM
Thanks Steve! I thought Barry might need me to head to the gym or something :D . Mr Maguire offers an excellent and down to earth option. I like the idea of one time payment with no subscription.

No, those are your other buns. :p:p

In all seriousness, Richard is a good guy and the real deal as a handtool woodworker. I don't pay for videos, and generally I don't think people need to. (http://blackdogswoodshop.blogspot.com/2015/06/everything-you-need-to-know-is-free.html) But if they enjoy that sort of thing, I would much rather see them pay Richard than just about anyone else out there.

Simon MacGowen
09-24-2015, 2:18 AM
Often the action only begins halfway through the time allocated .... by which time I have lost interest.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Couldn't agree more!

Simon

Daniel Rode
09-24-2015, 8:39 AM
I watch woodworking videos as edutainment. I hope to learn something but I enjoy watching things being crafted. I'd prefer to be doing the making but I don't get to sped as much time in the shop as I'd like. This month, I've watched videos on making high-end rifles, machining custom auto parts, making a sign and 10 other things. I'm never going to build myself a machine shop or build a rifle but it's still interesting to watch and learn.

Nick Stokes
09-24-2015, 10:14 AM
This might be of interest to some... Or might be totally off topic and random for others, I apologize...

I use Chrome as my browser. I have an "Extension" installed on chrome called, "Video Speed Controller"...

Using this, when I watch youtube video's, I can speed them up or slow them down very quickly just using the "D" and "S" key on my keyboard (.1x at a time)... For example, I watch ALL of PS vidoe's on 1.6x speed. If it is something I really wanna see I quickly slow it down, then get back after it...

Basically, I love information, and seek it out in a variety of ways... But I want it fast, I don't always like talking... so I use this to get around it.

Like I said, might be too off topic for some people.