PDA

View Full Version : how to transport powermatic 1150 drill press

cody michael
09-21-2015, 12:55 PM
I won some tools auctions including 2 powermatic 1150 drill presses, how is the best way to transport these. I hope they can be laid down, they will be in my trailer, along with some other tools. There will be plenty of room. It will be about a 2 hrs drive home for them, I was thinking lay them flat, step them down, maybe put some foam under the drill head part?

Charles Taylor
09-21-2015, 1:35 PM
When I bought my Delta DP of a similar design, I transported it home lying down on a trailer; it was about a 45-minute drive for me. I've heard others recommend to lower the table and head all the way down to the base and transport them upright. That minimizes the risk of any damage.

John McClanahan
09-21-2015, 1:37 PM
Lay them on the left side (facing the machine) and support the head, below the top cover. Don't rest the head on the belt cover.

John

Bill Adamsen
09-21-2015, 1:38 PM
This is just a gloat right?

This size dp is heavy, or depending on model, very heavy. I haven't moved a Powermatic, but have moved a Clausing 15" - similar in size/weight - using a station wagon. Getting it out of its location (a basement) was a real chore, and potentially dangerous. Handtruck, planks for skidding, plenty of rigging rope and tackle, plywood, cardboard, carpet. The presses themselves are remarkably sturdy (especially the vs models) and laid on their back or the spring return side they should be fine. If a pulley type, don't bend the cover. Obviously lock down in a trailer so it doesn't slide either forward or back. If they have a table counterweight best to remove that first.

John McClanahan
09-21-2015, 1:41 PM
When I bought my Delta DP of a similar design, I transported it home lying down on a trailer; it was about a 45-minute drive for me. I've heard others recommend to lower the table and head all the way down to the base and transport them upright. That minimizes the risk of any damage.

You could do this, too. When I bought mine, the column was so dirty I don't think the table or head would lower far enough to do any good.

John

Matt Day
09-21-2015, 2:33 PM
I just hauled one of these home last week.

I lowered the head and table a bit more than half way down the column. Strapped it on a hand truck, moved it 50 ft to my Forester, and laid it down on the non-handle side into my the car. Then slid it in all the way.

I did that solo as well as taking it out, but needed another person to get it down the basement stairs.

If you're laying it down on a trailer, I'd suggest an old tire or a folded up moving blanket or something to cushion the head. Or as stated, lower everything all the way and transport upright, with tie downs of course.

cody michael
09-21-2015, 2:50 PM
This is just a gloat right?

This size dp is heavy, or depending on model, very heavy. I haven't moved a Powermatic, but have moved a Clausing 15" - similar in size/weight - using a station wagon. Getting it out of its location (a basement) was a real chore, and potentially dangerous. Handtruck, planks for skidding, plenty of rigging rope and tackle, plywood, cardboard, carpet. The presses themselves are remarkably sturdy (especially the vs models) and laid on their back or the spring return side they should be fine. If a pulley type, don't bend the cover. Obviously lock down in a trailer so it doesn't slide either forward or back. If they have a table counterweight best to remove that first.

Yes, it is if everything goes as planned I will have a pm 66 for just over 200$, 2 drill presses for 5-600 (total, not each), a Radial arm saw (12-RAS delta) for 100$, a delta dl 40 lather for about 700$ (not sure if thats quite gloatworthy but I'm excited) all from a auction, my plan is to sell the table saw, and 1 drill press and pay for the lathe and other drill press with proceeds, I also found in similair area (about 2 hours away) a craftsman/parks 18in bandsaw for 350$ that I am picking up since I will be down there with my trailer, all in all it should be an impressive haul, I will post pictures when I get the goods home.

I have a good idea on how to transport everything except the drill press, but I think I have a plan for them now, I have some really nice stiff foam I may use as pads for the head, lay them down and strap them in good.

Don Sundberg
09-21-2015, 8:02 PM
When I bought my Jet 20" VS drill press, I used some blocking and the table lift to drop the head down to the top of the rack location. Then I dropped the table all the way down. We hauled it on a trailer standing up with a few straps and we screwed some blocking down to the trailer bed to keep it from sliding around. If it's your trailer and you are not anal about the bed finish then bring some 2x lumber, deck screws, and a cordless drill/ impact to box the bases of the tools where you set them. Then you just have to keep them tipping over.

Don

Bob Falk
09-21-2015, 8:12 PM
My 1150 has a column crank and I used it to lower both the table and the drill head down to the base. I then lifted out the column and was able to move the parts independently (took two of us to lift the head/motor). Reversed the process for reassembly.