PDA

View Full Version : moving a bandsaw - revisited (and a tool gloat)

Wes Ramsey
09-21-2015, 10:36 AM
I had decided last week to go with a brand new Grizzly 17" G0513X - then I found a decent used one on Craigslist in OK. Turned out to be a great deal on a great saw! For $700 I got the saw, 2 or 3 Timberwolf 3/4" 3TPI blades, a few smaller ones and a variety of new 142" blades I can have resized, a Carter Magfence, Kreg bandsaw fence and a Woodriver mortiser. I had a better mortiser on my list to buy in the next couple of years, but for the price I couldn't pass it up. The saw is 2 years old, and what little use it has seen was by someone that knows how to properly setup and use a bandsaw. Score!

I agonized all week about the best way to move it and came up with a plan to use my big box yard cart (minus the plastic tub). It worked out really well - I stood the cart up behind the saw, strapped it down and winched it into the truck bed with a come-a-long. I built the trailer platform to just clear the tailgate and strapped it down really well. Unloading was the same process in reverse. It was surprisingly easy and I had no trouble unloading the saw by myself. Probably over-engineered for moving a 400lb saw, but maybe someone can use the idea in the future.

I forgot to take pics of it in the truck, but here are some pics I took while unloading it:

Joe Bradshaw
09-21-2015, 11:16 AM
You clever devil. I will keep that in mind.
Joe

Rick Potter
09-21-2015, 11:24 AM
Congrats on the saw. I have moved heavier things, but not as easily as you have. Good ideas.

J.R. Rutter
09-21-2015, 12:42 PM
You succeeded!

Wes Ramsey
09-21-2015, 1:56 PM
Thanks guys! I had never used a bandsaw before yesterday, but this one seems to be perfect for my intended uses. I see a few things in the setup that need to be tweaked, but so far it resaws beautifully. I keep looking for stuff in my shop to cut so I may have to swap the blade tonight and make some bandsaw boxes for my boys. They're itching to see what I can do with it :)