PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
09-21-2015, 9:24 AM
21 Sep 2015

Good Morning Everyone,
Back from Philly and the disaster recovery exercise was successful.!! Glad it's over but ready to do it again next year with better planning and faster methods. The temps are cooling down just a bit and I'm ever so glad so I can get back in the shop and start doing some woodworking again.
I've started drawing the upgrades that the local bowling alley wants done and I'm having to learn a lot more about Sketchup than I ever thought I'd need to know. :)

That's it for me and it's back to the daily grind today. So what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Shawn Pixley
09-21-2015, 9:51 AM
Very hot and sticky here. I doesn't help that I am still fighting a sinus infection. We started research on some replacement windows for the residential window portions of the house. We'd like the European Tilt- turn windows but there are a limited number of manufacturers and almost no place to see their wares.

Lots of research was done but no real work.

Anthony Whitesell
09-21-2015, 10:14 AM
Nothing WWing related. :(

Winter prep begins. Saturday, the pool decided it wanted to come down. The cover had a lot of water and pine needles on it. In the act of try to scoop the pine needles off of the cover, the cover pulled into the pool due to the weight of the water. Not wanting to have to fish them out of the pool itself I decide to drain the pool and take it down for the season. On Sunday, seeing the weather did not predict rain, I proceeded to seal the driveway.

As bad as this sounds, I look forward to winter for some shop time. But before that comes, I really need to get the shed built that I have been planning most of the summer.

Wes Ramsey
09-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Dennis,

It was a GREAT weekend! I re-grouted the shower, picked up a new saw (posted a thread about it here) and wired up a new 220 outlet in my shop to power her. It is by far the nicest tool in my shop - gonna have to spend some time getting to know her better. I had to re-grout the shower so my wife would be okay with a 8-hour roadtrip that took us right by Fayetteville on a Saturday, and without stopping to watch the Hogs play :rolleyes:

Most of the projects on my list are shop-related right now. We've lived here for about 3 1/2 years and for most of that time my shop has been used to store stuff. I'm just now getting some real tools, so I've been purging some of the 'stuff', cleaning up and building some organization in the midst of the mess. I hope to make enough progress this week that I can get back on the lathe and rough out some Christmas presents while I still have time!

Mike Ontko
09-21-2015, 12:55 PM
Made a little more progress on the continuing coffee table project, completing all of the basic frame construction and joinery. Later this week I should be able to at least start the lower shelf and the top, which I'm doing with beech ply wrapped in solid beech. Though not shown in the pictures below, this frame also includes two center supports that create something of a torsion box for the table top and will function as backstops for each of the end drawers.

321834 321835

glenn bradley
09-21-2015, 1:03 PM
Some more attacks on the scrap bin :D.

Brett Robson
09-21-2015, 11:23 PM
I spent most of Sunday and again today finishing the finish on this piece.

cody michael
09-22-2015, 8:06 AM
made a door stop for my motorcycles shed.321881

Jim Becker
09-24-2015, 5:46 PM
Last weekend I took some time to refinish the makeup table that I had made years ago for the girls' original shared bedroom. It's now in my younger daughter's room and the lime-green base just didn't fit into the decor and the top was badly in need of a little tender loving care. So the base was repainted black to match things in the room and I totally stripped, sanded and refinished the walnut top. I recently repainted her room and we're in the final throws of putting together the details...since she's only 16, there's only one shade of gray. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Woodworking/IMG_5980_zpsoy6vkxfd.jpg

At that point, I got started on another project she had asked for...a picture frame setup to display smaller photos; something she had found online awhile ago. I could have looked for an old used frame, but decided to just do a built up construction from available scrap. This is the end result that will soon be populated with a bunch of 4x6 photos attached to the horizontal wires by small, black clothespins.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Woodworking/IMG_6034_zpsjaxpsc0v.jpg

When that was finished, I moved on to building another side table for next to her arm-chair that matches the existing bed-side table. Her request was for a lower shelf. I'll hopefully get this finished next weekend and post photos of the build and final result then. It's nice being back in the shop...some physical issues have prevented me from riding my pony, but standing is just fine.

On another note, last week I had to travel to central Florida and deal with more or less taking over my elderly parent's finances. My mother is in poor health and turned things over to my dad last spring. (She had handled things since before I was born...he made the money; she told him what he could spend. :) ) He's also a little confused and forgetful these days, so to his credit (and after messing things up a bit) he asked me to take on the task so he could just tend to my mother and not have to worry about bills and overdrafts and so forth. I jokingly say that I just acquired two elderly teenagers... :)

Michael Weber
09-24-2015, 10:11 PM
In time for cooler weather. Lyptus. 42 inches wide. Heavy. Pegged M\T
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/mike72903/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150801_173657.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mike72903/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150801_173657.jpg.html)

John TenEyck
09-25-2015, 10:50 AM
I spent most of Sunday and again today finishing the finish on this piece.

Brett, that is gorgeous. Please tell us more in a separate posting.

John