PDA

View Full Version : Derek, Brian and all drawer pull prototype

James Pallas
09-20-2015, 7:53 PM
I had some questions about this drawer pull I had seen. I could not see the back so I built a proof of concept. It is not pretty but the concept is proved, it works. It's just an unrefined concept and rough on the back and the margins are not good. Should have used something easier to work than maple on the first try. Also a pic of a couple of bow saws I'm making.
Jim

Bill McDermott
09-20-2015, 10:18 PM
Cool idea for the flush pulls, James. That reminds me of the cover panel over the gas cap on my car. If you are careful to keep the grain continuous, it would be even better.

Brian Holcombe
09-20-2015, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the mock up James! That is a really cool idea.

James Pallas
09-21-2015, 7:55 AM
Thanks Bill and Brian. This is not my idea I saw it a few years ago but could not see the back of the drawer so I had no real idea about the workings. I was surprised how well it works easy to open falls closed just right. The back of this one is rough for sure and I wasn't trying to grain match. What I found out, it is difficult to drill the axle holes in the body in a small opening, there is not a lot of room for the stops, the thickness of the material could be problematic. Solutions so far, make pieces like pad blocks for the sides and cut mortises from the back to install, include the stops in the pad blocks, don't go less then 1/2 inch for material, put a cove on the bottom edge for a better grip. If done this way nothing would protrude in the back except when operated. Now I just need to build something to use it on.
Jim

Derek Cohen
09-21-2015, 11:54 AM
Thanks for that, James.

My interest was to see if it was possible to open a drawer with an invisible pull. Your idea is very clever. However I was thinking more along the lines of one that pushed the drawer forward to grip below. Over time, the more I think about this idea, the less I like my plan. I will rather go with something traditional that is reliable.

Regards from Perth

Derek