PDA

View Full Version : A Richardson Brothers reproduction, ( sort a )

Ron Bontz
09-20-2015, 3:00 PM
Long story short, maybe. An acquaintance of mine, brought me a Richardson Brothers saw to replace the plate a while back. It did not have the rounded finger like the others I had seen. Although, I haven't actually seen very many of them. None the less I noticed a couple of nasty cracks in the handle just under the finger area. No doubt from the toe end of the back coming upward, leveraging against the handle where it bolts the spine to the finger. ( A moment about the axis ) A flawed design in my opinion. So I decided to make one for myself using a little thicker wood, a compressed slotted back, and a pin in the toe end. I was in a bit of a hurry so the rasp work was not my finest and needs touching up , ( the handle was still wet ), but you get the idea. I chose quarter cut beech both because it was easier and faster to work, not to mention cheaper than most of the woods I use, as well as a more traditional wood. I tried to stay close to the original, but since when have I ever been traditional. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowsmile.gif So there it is. The plate is solid, will not compress backwards and the set screw is removable. I used stainless as that was what was quickly available. I may replace it with a brass one when I get the time. The plate...14" x 3.5" under spine x 0.025". 11ppi, 8*rake,x 0* fleam. And there you have it.
321779 Opps. Sorry George. Don't know how that one got in there. :D:D:D

Frederick Skelly
09-20-2015, 6:22 PM
Gorgeous work as always Ron!
I really like the details (notches, etc) where the handle meets the brass back. Don't know why, but I never noticed those before.

Fred