PDA

View Full Version : CA Type Glue Looking For A Good One...

Derek Arita
09-20-2015, 1:47 PM
I've so far, avoided CA type glues simply because I don't know much about them other than using Super Glue with limited success and also for their high cost. That said, I've seen Tommy us it on TOH, so it can't be bad.
What's a good one to use and what are it's limitations, if any?

Vince Shriver
09-20-2015, 2:01 PM
What is TOH (tomahawks or hatchets?)?

Alan Hick
09-20-2015, 2:05 PM
This Old House.

Only CA glue I've ever used in woodworking is 2P10. They make 4 viscosities: Thin, Medium, Thick, Jel; and an "activator" and a debonder. Great versatility. I've never had an issue with any of their products.

As far as limitations--I don't know. It's like any other glue, or tool--you have to know how/when to use it. Sometimes epoxy works best, sometimes Hide glue, sometimes PVA, sometimes polyurethane, sometimes CA.

John TenEyck
09-20-2015, 2:28 PM
I don't used CA glues for general gluing applications. I've used Rockler's StickFast Medium CA and accelerator with no problems for gluing handrail sections and returns, pen blanks and barrels together, and for gluing green bowl blanks to a faceplate. It also works well on temporary shop fixtures and for many shop repairs where you are trying to glue dissimilar and/or non-porous materials together. I've also used Nexabond with good success but it gels in the bottle more quickly than StickFast IME. The advantage of Nexabond is that it gives you time to get things positioned properly before it sets. With StickFast, it's essentially instant especially if you use the accelerator.

As a PSA, if you keep your CA glue in a sealed container with a dessicant it will last a lot longer before gelling.

John

glenn bradley
09-20-2015, 2:30 PM
One thing about CA is storage and shelf life. Moisture triggers the cure so leaving it in a drawer in the shop is not generally a good idea. There are several quality brands. I favor Satellite City (http://www.caglue.com/) since most of my uses involve a water-like viscosity which their "Hot Stuff" certainly has. If you are going to use them to any degree you will want a solvent and a quick-cure to go with your setup.

I used to use it sparingly and bought the little tubes. Too large a bottle can present a shelf life issue though. I notice they have just started offering 1/2 ounce bottles in a 12-pack and that will be my next purchase method. The 2 ounce bottles like Hot Stuff and Super "T" generally get 75% used before they age out for me. Needle tips and spare OEM tips are helpful.

I have increased the shelf life on mine 10-fold ever since I started storing the glues in a Vac-n-Seal container (under vacuum) on a shelf in my office. I've just finished using some Hot Stuff that is old enough to where I have forgotten when I got it. That is pretty rare for me when it comes to "super glues". You will need to find a quantity, container size and storage method that works or your consumption level.

My use is tearout repair, gluing dowels into misplaced hinge-holes for repair and other odd-job "fixes". I do not use it for regular glue-ups; even small items like box pulls get anchor-pins and epoxy in my shop. For the quick fix though, some CA and a bit of tape can save the day.

David Hawxhurst
09-20-2015, 7:45 PM
i like and use the medium nexabond. in the last two years i've used two and on my third of the 16 oz bottles. i've used it in place of the pva (i use titebond III) glue for pretty much everything. i've done cabinets, drawers, cabinet doors, picture and mirror frames, stools, table top, bench and some various other small things. i've not had the gelling problem that john has had. a 16 oz bottle last me about 6-8 months.

David C. Roseman
09-20-2015, 8:53 PM
CA glue is used a lot by woodturners for quick attachment of stock to glue blocks, for stabilizing bark for natural edge bowls and for filling small voids. I like both Stick Fast and Satellite City Super T brands, but I don't think the brand matters much. Whatever you end up with, a tip is to store it in the freezer. It can keep its properties for many months, even a year or more that way. When you're ready to use it, just let it sit at room temp for a few minutes first.

As others have said, it is not a general purpose glue for woodworking. It tends to turn brittle and can fail over time in some situations. Nothing like the Titebonds, or the polyurethanes (Gorilla glue).

fred woltersdorf
09-21-2015, 6:56 AM
I have some CA glue that I've had for over 5 yrs and it still works as well as when new, my secret is I put the bottles in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer.