PDA

View Full Version : New Open Source HTML Editor Available

Jim Becker
08-25-2005, 4:29 PM
Today's issue of a newsletter I receive from Fred Langa had a piece about an open source (free) web development editor that is now available that offers many features similar to Microsoft FrontPage and Macromedia Dreamweaver. I have not looked at it specifically, other than reading the website, but it looks very interesting for folks who want a lot of functionality but don't want to or can't make the investment in the commercial products. You can check it out at http://nvu.com/ . The price is right, too...

Runs on Linux, Windows or MAC.

Rich Konopka
08-26-2005, 8:01 AM
I think I will try it out. I was using OpenOffice yesterday and if you have not checked it out I would recommend it. It too is free and is very easy to work with and contains many of the features of MS office. With the many computers in use at our home I am trying to get away from the MSFT tax.

Jim Becker
08-26-2005, 8:35 AM
Rich, I've been using OpenOffice for a year and a half now. It works fine in most situations. There are some quirks with copy/paste in the "PowerPoint" portion of it that have driven Dr. SWMBO nuts on her machine, but I largely only use the word processing myself. You can't beat the price...but you do need a high-speed connection to download it (due to the shear size of the distribution) which unfortunately makes it hard or impossible for many folks who could benefit from it to download. It would take days to download over dialup...assuming you could actually keep the connection up that long.

Rich Konopka
08-26-2005, 12:22 PM
Jim,

Is the Dr. using 1.1 or 2.0 of Impress? I received a sxi doc from a Sun Colleague yesterday and was able to copy and past some of my architecture components into impress 2.0 and then save it in PPT format or PDF. Real Nice.
He was working with the Star Office 5.0. Now that is what I call Open Standards. I wish Msft would play in the same world as everyone else instead of their own.

Jim Becker
08-26-2005, 1:58 PM
Rich, OpenOffice is at version 1.1 4 which is the latest release, I believe.

Rich Konopka
08-26-2005, 2:08 PM
I have Beta 2.0 Release 1.9.113

Boyd Gathwright
08-28-2005, 10:01 PM
....Thanks for the heads up :), Jim.

Boyd

Today's issue of a newsletter I receive from Fred Langa had a piece about an open source (free) web development editor that is now available that offers many features similar to Microsoft FrontPage and Macromedia Dreamweaver. I have not looked at it specifically, other than reading the website, but it looks very interesting for folks who want a lot of functionality but don't want to or can't make the investment in the commercial products. You can check it out at http://nvu.com/ . The price is right, too...

Runs on Linux, Windows or MAC.