PDA

View Full Version : Dye Sublimation on Acylic

Dana Perreault
09-19-2015, 1:39 PM
I am looking to use a pre-coated dye sublimation acrylic blank and have a color logo placed in the middle (not sized to the entire piece). My question is, if you only add a photo/logo in the middle of the piece will the rest of the white polymer bake away and leave you with clear? My desired effect is the color logo floating in middle of the piece and laser engraved text around it.

Ross Moshinsky
09-19-2015, 2:35 PM
I am looking to use a pre-coated dye sublimation acrylic blank and have a color logo placed in the middle (not sized to the entire piece). My question is, if you only add a photo/logo in the middle of the piece will the rest of the white polymer bake away and leave you with clear? My desired effect is the color logo floating in middle of the piece and laser engraved text around it.

Won't work the way you want. As far as I know you have 3 options but there may be one or two other ones that I'm not thinking of.

1. Sticker
2. Magic Touch
3. Direct to substrate printing.

Ruben Salcedo
09-19-2015, 2:39 PM
Dana,

No it wouldn't happen, it wouldn't melt away whatever area you image less than the full area the rest will show up white.

Al,

there are thick acrylic pieces that you can get that are sublimation ready with a white opaque coating, and I bevel that is what it is in question.

Dana Perreault
09-19-2015, 3:08 PM
Thank you all for the input. I figured this would be a long shot.
Do you think if I sublimate the rest in white I can then reverse laser etch text through the white areas? I don't see why not, just seeing if anyone has before.
I have sublimated the back and added text and info on the front, just not both on the back.
Thank you all again.

Mark Sipes
09-19-2015, 4:47 PM
You might be able to use a Clear Digicoat spray to hold you transfer image and then back spray white only in the area of the image. Giving you a clear surface to laser.

Ruben Salcedo
09-19-2015, 7:35 PM
I have not done it, but I don't see why it couldn't be done... the white coating is poly base so is not harmful to the laser machine, I even thing that it would look better than engraving in the front, also it could be color filled using a mask with metallic colors like gold and silver for a unique look.

Ruben Salcedo
09-19-2015, 7:42 PM
Mark, those pieces are already pre-coated, but your idea perhaps could be done in an untreated piece of acrylic, although I'm not sure it would work do to the high temperature is need it for sublimation, regular acrylic cannot stand high temperatures, the pieces that are pre-coated for the purpose of sublimation are been made with a specially formulated acrylic that can withstand the high temperature need it for sublimation.

Mark Sipes
09-20-2015, 12:44 PM
Ruben, yes I was thinking that the 3/4" acrylic that is precoated is the same 3/4" sold by JDS, PDU, American Acrylic that are blank. If nothing else glass would hold up to the heat as per the Digi Videos on YouTube. I have used some Clear Inkjet Vinyl that will stick to the back of an acrylic and act like a sticker. The material is floated into position via soap and water solution and squeegeed flat with no bubbles...........this process had promise before I got into Sublimation.

Ruben Salcedo
09-20-2015, 3:05 PM
Hi Mark,

like I said if the acrylic piece is not advertised as sublimation ready then it won't work even if you applied your own coating in it, now glass is a different story, with glass there is no problem, with regular acrylic there is a problem do to the acrylics melting point be at 320 degrees, now for low temperature applications like Ross mentioned then it can be done on acrylic, or just as you did it with a water decal.

Dana Perreault
09-21-2015, 11:42 AM
Mark, I am intrigued by the idea of using Digicoat spray on a premasked area of an uncoated glass award. This seems like it would do just the trick. Not sure if I will be able to squeeze a test for this particular project what with ordering turn around time and cost, but I feel like it could work like a charm. My thinking is that it would work best to mask the piece, cut the mask with the laser, apply the coating, remove the mask, bake, carefully apply paper with logo to treated area (light tack spray?) and press.

Gary Hair
09-21-2015, 2:18 PM
Mark, I am intrigued by the idea of using Digicoat spray on a premasked area of an uncoated glass award. This seems like it would do just the trick. Not sure if I will be able to squeeze a test for this particular project what with ordering turn around time and cost, but I feel like it could work like a charm. My thinking is that it would work best to mask the piece, cut the mask with the laser, apply the coating, remove the mask, bake, carefully apply paper with logo to treated area (light tack spray?) and press.

In the time it takes to do all of that you could have printed them with a UV printer... I would sub the job out to someone who could do the job for you - and I'm NOT a fan of subbing out work, believe me!

Tim Bateson
09-21-2015, 2:36 PM

I agree with Gary - WOW! That's a lot of work. Does the job really pay enough to make all of that worth while?