PDA

View Full Version : OT: Flying Disabled passenger who is in a Wheelchair.

Clarence Martin
09-19-2015, 1:26 PM
How does that work on a regular commercial airline ?

My Dad is in his late 80's and is confined to a wheelchair because of a stroke. Whole left side is paralyzed. Moving him to a faculty in Florida to be closer to the rest of the Family. Will Airlines fly people in those conditions ?

Scott Shepherd
09-19-2015, 2:17 PM
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/support/faqs/preparing-for-your-trip/special-needs-faqs.html

Joe Kieve
09-19-2015, 4:16 PM
Thank you Scott...you beat me to it. Delta is the best at helping disabled passengers.
From a Delta retiree.

David Masters
09-19-2015, 11:15 PM
We had to fly my mother who was wheelchair bound and required oxygen. Southwest was good to work with, although they had very specific requirements on the use of oxygen generators. I travel almost every week, and I see at least two to four wheelchairs on Southwest flights I take. They have a a lot of experience boarding wheelchair bound passengers.

Dave

Kent Adams
09-20-2015, 9:58 AM
Thankfully, the ADA requires airlines to accommodate disabled passengers.

Jim Becker
09-24-2015, 5:26 PM
Yes, the airlines regularly fly folks with a variety of disabilities, including physical mobility. It's important to let them know in advance at the reservation transaction and also work with them relative to appropriate seat selection. You can generally request assistance from curb through security to the gate was well as for boarding and de-boarding. There are even special chairs that can fit in the isle when zero walking is possible.

Matt Meiser
09-24-2015, 9:33 PM
Thank you Scott...you beat me to it. Delta is the best at helping disabled passengers.
From a Delta retiree.

Hmm...Delta is the only one I've ever had violate my rights under ADA with respect to my CPAP.