PDA

View Full Version : Pad printing plates

Robert cleardrift
09-19-2015, 12:15 PM
Hi Everyone! I have a 4 color pad printing machine and I am looking at getting a laser to etch the plates.What would the best type of machine to get?
I don't want to go cheap.My goals would to be etch aluminum,mild steel and stainless steel.
Thanks for any info!

Scott Shepherd
09-19-2015, 12:44 PM
You'd need a Fiber Laser for that Robert. Epilog, Trotec, Universal, all make Fiber Laser models.

Steve Morris
09-19-2015, 12:45 PM
^^ wot he said ^^

Ross Moshinsky
09-19-2015, 1:22 PM
I'd look at a Chinese fibre machine. A few people on the forum have them and have been happy with them.

Scott Shepherd
09-19-2015, 1:24 PM
I'd look at a Chinese fibre machine. A few people on the forum have them and have been happy with them.

I didn't offer that up because he said :

I don't want to go cheap.

Robert cleardrift
09-19-2015, 2:37 PM
Thanks for the replies yes I don't want cheap chunk lol. Customer service is imported to me.If things go wrong or need help I can just give them a call..I live in Vancouver Canada not as many options like you guys have in the states .

matthew knott
09-19-2015, 7:11 PM
google a company called inkcups, their website has quite a bit of info on it, you can use a co2 laser but with only with special plates, as has been pointed out you need a fiber laser for metal plates, trust me, getting the settings a process correct is not an easy thing to do.
Matt

Tony Lenkic
09-19-2015, 7:17 PM
Rob,

You can get mentioned laser in Canada and very close to you. Trotec, Epilog, ULS all have a reps in BC or Alberta.
As for engraving pad printing plates there is a video of Inkcups laser if you go to their site.
Chinese made fiber lasers may be the way to explore. You have local outfit in Richmond BC you should contact and/or visit. 20 watt fiber laser for under 13K.
Check them on web...........ASC365.com

Tony Lenkic
09-19-2015, 7:19 PM
As I was typing Matt posted same name...Inkcups.
It is US company with Toronto area rep.

Robert Tepper
09-20-2015, 3:07 AM
I make pad printing plates using my CO2 machine. I use a photopolymer plate. I first expose the plate for 10 minutes to harden the polymer. I then raster engrave the image at 20 watts of power to remove the hardened polymer. I have been doing this for over two years and have had excellent results. I have no experience using a steel plate to do the process. It would not work with a CO2 laser. The material is available from a company called Anderson and Vreeland located in Ohio. If you need further information send me a PM. There are also several companies that advertise laser cliche material. I don't have the information at hand but I do have it at the factory.

Robert