PDA

View Full Version : Cool software

Ian Barley
08-25-2005, 2:35 PM
Coolest thing on the web ever? (so far anyway) go to "earth.google.com"

I hope I'm not telling everybody something that they already know but this is too good not to share. Most fascinating way to waste an hour or two that I can think of.

Jim Dunn
08-25-2005, 5:34 PM
I've got it and use it to send out people on jobs. I too waste time with it. Look up volcano's. Its a blast.

Aaron Koehl
08-26-2005, 1:40 PM
Coolest thing on the web ever? (so far anyway) go to "earth.google.com"

I hope I'm not telling everybody something that they already know but this is too good not to share. Most fascinating way to waste an hour or two that I can think of.
Ian,

Yes those guys at Google are something else!
Try http://moon.google.com... don't forget to zoom in all the way! :D

Jerry Clark
08-26-2005, 1:45 PM
WOW, that is something-- :eek: I like the terain view also-- :)

Michael Perata
08-26-2005, 2:05 PM
I use it to analyse land proposals. If you buy an upgraded license, you get to look into back yards. :rolleyes:

Ian Barley
08-26-2005, 2:12 PM
Ian,

Yes those guys at Google are something else!
Try http://moon.google.com... don't forget to zoom in all the way! :D

I thought it was meant to be green?

Very funny site and cool even when its not on maximum zoom.

Matt Meiser
08-26-2005, 2:58 PM
Its amazing how detailed some areas are. You can make out a lot of detail on my house. Other areas aren't as detailed.

Andy Hoyt
08-31-2005, 12:38 AM
I use it to analyse land proposals. If you buy an upgraded license, you get to look into back yards. :rolleyes:

Michael - Does this mean that the resolution or digital whatever is of a much higher quality? Everywhere? What's the license cost?

Michael Perata
09-01-2005, 7:54 PM
Michael - Does this mean that the resolution or digital whatever is of a much higher quality? Everywhere? What's the license cost?
No, they have not saved all areas in a high res format. There are actually two data bases, the free Google site is a lower res/content database. The database we use concentrates on populated areas. I am able to make out the outline of the patio table in my backyard.

Also, different license levels have different capabilities. Our license not only gives greater detail, it also includes basic GIS information on some subjects.

I don't know what the cost is as the license is as we have a corporate wide license but I believe the per seat cost is <$500 and we probably have 5 or so floating seat licenses.