PDA

View Full Version : MiniMax FS30 Quits...

Derek Arita
09-19-2015, 12:07 PM
I was just jointing some stock and after about 5 minutes, the machine just shut down. I stopped everything, checked the red knob and it was in the On position. I then went to try the Black knob agin and the machine momentarily turned on, then went off. Did it again and same thing. Third time, it went on and stayed on. Never had this issue before. I do always smell rubber from the belts heating up if that means anything.
Eric or anyone else, have ideas on what's going on? Like I said, never happened before. I'd post on the MiniMax Owners Group, but I just can't figure out how to do anything there, let alone post a question.

Erik Loza
09-19-2015, 12:31 PM
Derek, what age is your machine? And have you replace the drive belts or any electrical components at any point?

Erik

Derek Arita
09-19-2015, 12:49 PM
My machine is about 12years old. FS30 Smart. No replacements, but barely used as hobby machine. Original blades still good.

Erik Loza
09-19-2015, 1:08 PM
My gut response is that overload protection may be shutting the motor down. Especially when you talk about smelling belt material. Is the planer table clean and well waxed? Jointer/planers are very sensitive about friction on the planer table. If that's not it, my next step would be to see how many amps the motor is pulling when this shutdown occurs.

Erik

Derek Arita
09-19-2015, 1:16 PM
Sorry to say, that's over my pay grade. Wouldn't know how.

Erik Loza
09-19-2015, 3:21 PM
Sorry to say, that's over my pay grade. Wouldn't know how.

The wax part or the electrical part?

Erik

Mike Hollingsworth
09-19-2015, 3:25 PM
Switch went out on my MM Combo. I googled the part number and bought it from a third party to save a bunch.
I ended up blowing the dust out of the old one and it worked again. Now I have an extra.

Derek Arita
09-19-2015, 5:06 PM
The wax part or the electrical part?

Erik

Eric, the testing for amp draw part.

Erik Loza
09-19-2015, 5:18 PM
Eric, the testing for amp draw part.

If you're not comfortable troubleshooting that yourself, I would hire and electrician to come in and do it for you. I can offer suggestions as to what to check but the actual on-site work, you'll want to handle on your end.

Erik

Derek Arita
09-19-2015, 6:03 PM
Smelling rubber...is that an indication of something I should be concerned about?

Bill Orbine
09-19-2015, 6:14 PM
Smelling rubber is something I would be very concern about!!!! If you believe you are smelling rubber from the belt(s) heating up, then you'd probably notice how quickly the machine's cutter head come to a stop when it is shut off either by you or by breaker/fuses tripping. The OTHER "rubber" smell you may be referring to are burning wires or electronics from the electrical components heating up and melting the plastics and/or insulation on the wires. I should say you should stop running the machine until further notice. Does the cutter head rotate freely?

Derek Arita
09-19-2015, 6:42 PM
Petty sure it's rubber from the belts. I've smelled burning wiring and it's not that.

Chris Merriam
09-19-2015, 7:27 PM
I get that rubber smell on mine as well

Lee Schierer
09-19-2015, 7:52 PM
Without running any lumber through it, turn it on and let it run for 5-10 minutes. If you don't smell hot rubber and it runs the full time then you have too much table friction, in feed/out feed rollers need lubrication or you are taking too big a bite. After running it for 10 minutes with no problem, adjust the planer to just pull the board through without cutting, then slowly increase the depth of cut to about 1/32".

Dull cutters will also make a planer work hard and run hot. So will rust on the cutters.

Derek Arita
09-19-2015, 7:59 PM
Without running any lumber through it, turn it on and let it run for 5-10 minutes. If you don't smell hot rubber and it runs the full time then you have too much table friction, in feed/out feed rollers need lubrication or you are taking too big a bite. After running it for 10 minutes with no problem, adjust the planer to just pull the board through without cutting, then slowly increase the depth of cut to about 1/32".

Dull cutters will also make a planer work hard and run hot. So will rust on the cutters.
And if I smell rubber?

Mike Heidrick
09-19-2015, 9:25 PM
Reduced feed rate would be easier on a motor not harder correct? I am not seeing how dirty tables would do this.

Lee Schierer
09-20-2015, 8:13 AM
And if I smell rubber?

You probably have either loose or worn belts or a bearing that is going bad.

John TenEyck
09-20-2015, 8:32 AM
Reduced feed rate would be easier on a motor not harder correct? I am not seeing how dirty tables would do this.

It increases load on the drive feed rollers - ie - motor load.

John

Erik Loza
09-20-2015, 8:49 AM
Again, this may or may not be the OP's issue but the #1 problem I see with J/P's, hands-down, is too much friction on the planer bed. You MUST keep that thing waxed and keep the feed follers clean of any pitch or gum. It just seems like the design of these machines, regardless of brand. They are all super-sensitive to this.

Erik

Derek Arita
09-20-2015, 9:09 AM
I smell the rubber just running the machine without feeding any lumber through.

Erik Loza
09-20-2015, 9:18 AM
I smell the rubber just running the machine without feeding any lumber through. I would pull the inspection cover on the back of the machine and see what the drive belts and the poly wheel looks like.

Erik

Derek Arita
09-20-2015, 1:56 PM
I would pull the inspection cover on the back of the machine and see what the drive belts and the poly wheel looks like.

Erik
Far as I can tell, the belts are fine, however I don't know how to check for tension, so they seem ok to me. This machine has always vibrated to a small degree, although I don't know if that's normal or not. I only have my PM jointer to compare.

Lee Schierer
09-20-2015, 2:49 PM
Again, this may or may not be the OP's issue but the #1 problem I see with J/P's, hands-down, is too much friction on the planer bed. You MUST keep that thing waxed and keep the feed follers clean of any pitch or gum. It just seems like the design of these machines, regardless of brand. They are all super-sensitive to this.

Erik

I agree. My Delta planer has no rollers on the lower table and if I don't wax the table before nearly every use, the wood will hang up and not feed.