PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Cast Iron Planes

Richard Gillespie
06-07-2003, 9:06 PM
I've bought several cast iron planes over the years but one I got over ebay is giving me fits. It is a Miller Falls no. 8 and works pretty good now that it is sharp and tuned.

My problem is with rust continueing to reoccur on the sole despite being waxed or oiled. I suspect that it may be occuring because the sole is still somewhat pited.

I didn't want to grind off any more metal than what was required to flatten it. Has anyone else experienced the same problem. If so what did you do to stop it?:confused:

Bob Oswin
06-22-2003, 9:34 AM
I've bought several cast iron planes over the years but one I got over ebay is giving me fits. It is a Miller Falls no. 8 and works pretty good now that it is sharp and tuned.

My problem is with rust continueing to reoccur on the sole despite being waxed or oiled. I suspect that it may be occuring because the sole is still somewhat pited.

I didn't want to grind off any more metal than what was required to flatten it. Has anyone else experienced the same problem. If so what did you do to stop it?:confused:
Hi Richard:
I don't know if this will help you or not but I get strips of magnetic sign material from a sign shop nearby. They make signs for car doors etc.from this stuff.
Cut in strips as wide as my blades and the full length , they just snap to place on the sole. I use them to protect he irons and the soles.
My area is very dry so rust is not a major concern. I would think that these "slippers" would reduce the surface contact with moist air.
Doesn't hurt to try a piece on half of a sole?

Regards
Bob

John Allman
06-22-2003, 1:20 PM
Richard:

Both Lie-Nielsen & Lee Valley sell plane sacks. They are silicon treated cotton intended to resist moisture. I have been using them with no adverse problems.

John