PDA

View Full Version : Fun in the woodshop

Jesse Busenitz
09-18-2015, 8:44 PM
In between driving semi for dad during corn harvest and various other projects, I've made a little progress on the new shop. First being, building a new mobile clamp rack that I modeled off of rocklers. The only problem is that I didn't leave much room for expansion and everybody knows you can't have too many clamps:D I'm still wanting to add some sort of shelves/drawers in the middle

Second being two parts carts. In my old shop I barely had room for a decent size project and didn't have to walk far to get anywhere but it's going to be a little different in this shop.
I used some ash from a tree I pulled out of the creek and had milled last year. I had the sawyer kiln dry it just to kill any bugs. The legs/supports where 6/4 white oak as I had the ash all milled 4/4, but it doesn't match too bad.
And the third was remodeling this workbench. I saw it on CL and was only interested in the vise at first, but then after I looked at it some more I figured that I could get some more use out of some of it. I tore the top off before I took any pics as I wasn't planning on saving it.... but it was 2 1/4" fir or similar. The PPO had screwed down some 1/4" aluminum plate down and the tore the snot out of that bench as after I pulled the plate up there was still a 3/8" plus drop off right were the aluminum ended. The base and drawers where in decent shape so I decided to build a new top. I ended up using some yellow pine that came from an old house that we took down off our property. I believe they were floor joist 2x8s which I then ripped down into 3 strips, set on edge and glued together for a mostly QS yellow pine top. Doesn't look to shabby if I say so myself. I than mounted the Emmert vise as my main vise and a Columbian on the opposite side that I picked up on CL a while back for 3$, added a couple outlets and some shelving on the "back side". This will be super nice as my table saw/ out feed was my main assembly table before. Sorry for the poor phone pics.

Keith Weber
09-19-2015, 4:19 PM
Nice Rack! :-)

Frederick Skelly
09-19-2015, 5:32 PM
Nice additions to your shop. And I like the bench. Came out nicely.
Fred

Michael Weber
09-19-2015, 8:22 PM
That all looks really nice. Very substantial. I would like to learn to weld, seem like a real usable skill

Jerry Olexa
09-20-2015, 11:34 AM
I have that Rockler rack....Shelves should be an easy matter to mount on the rails...Mine has 3 shelves..Good job.

Jesse Busenitz
09-21-2015, 8:36 AM
Thanks for all the complements guys!

That all looks really nice. Very substantial. I would like to learn to weld, seem like a real usable skill

Yeah it's come in handy more than once. I've built mobile bases for most of my machines, because I didn't have room for everything in my old shop. I actually built one for my 1600+ lbs 16" jointer. The metal I used for the rack was a little rusty so I had to use the stick welder, which I'm not as good with as a MIG welder, but it hasn't come apart yet:D

Will Boulware
09-21-2015, 9:19 AM
Nicely done! Good score on the bench, especially that vise!

Jesse Busenitz
09-26-2015, 2:36 PM
I was working on my DC this morning and my nephew came to "help" me. I have a floor sweep right under my bench so he started collecting all my unused pieces and setting up his own DC;) I got a good laugh out of it if nothing else, and he was having a ball watching all the dust disappear.