PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt DWP611PK plunge base normal behavior?

Matthew Kalinowski
09-18-2015, 8:38 PM
Hello, I just bought a new Dewalt trim router and am not sure that the plunge is working correctly.

When I push down to zero the depth indicator, the mark continues past the scale zero, stopping 1/16" past the end of the scale (see photo).

Can any other owner tell me whether this is normal?

On my other two plunge routers, the zero mark stops at scale zero. I can't see any benefit to having to line up to zero by hand, am I missing something?

Thanks, Matt

pat warner
09-18-2015, 11:33 PM
Yes (you are missing something). These gages are indicators, foogayzees.
Not to be relied on for close order plunging.
Test on equal sectioned scrap.. Routers are guesses. Real cuts are measureable.

Harvey Miller
09-19-2015, 8:58 AM
Mine does the same, but not as much.
So in other words- Pat is right.

Rich Engelhardt
09-19-2015, 9:14 AM
Never noticed mine one way or the other since I never use it.
I don't use the measuring foogayzee (thanks Pat for the new term!) on any of my tools.
None are accurate or repeatable enough to trust.

Matthew Kalinowski
09-19-2015, 11:25 AM
Thank you Pat, Harvey, and Rich.

Pat, I appreciate your good advice. I will ignore the gauge and use setup blocks and test cuts.

Take care, Matt

william watts
09-19-2015, 1:24 PM
This is from DW site "Plunge base incorporates fine-tune adjustment rod for precise depth setting" The pic I see looks to have a threaded fitting of the end of the stop rod for fine adjustment. Try turning it to zero the indicator. I have a PC 690 and never even bothered to use the depth scale because none of my other tools had scales that actually worked accurately. I thought it was another "foogayzee" Once I took the time to figure out how to use it I found it does work and it's the only tool I have that is accurate. Now I trust and use it.

Sorry for the small front don't know why it changed.