PDA

View Full Version : talk me out of a tool purchase! Grizzly slider G0623X

Silas Smith
09-18-2015, 6:12 PM
It seems like this saw offers everything I am looking for other than the 8' length. I've read what information there is on the net and so far I haven't seen anyone disappointed by this saw who has it. I would love the Hammer, minimax or Felder, but that just isn't going to be justified. I currently have a Unisaw, and it works great, but I think the move up to a slider is significant enough. What say ye Sawmillcreek? Should I just stick with the Uni or make the leap?

Jesse Busenitz
09-18-2015, 6:32 PM
I'm in the same boat.... but I say go for a 12" slider and get the 8'+ length. If I sold my two PM 66's and 70 table saws I'd have a pocket full of change to get me started on a slider.

Wade Lippman
09-18-2015, 6:40 PM
Since we don't know anything about you, that would be hard to say. I need a slider maybe once a year; it would be a very foolish purchase. But you might use it 6 hours a day, in which case you should get it.

Peter Quinn
09-18-2015, 7:04 PM
Thats a good little slider. I used it brand new in a shop I was helping out in for some side jobs, sets up accurate, real decent and not much money for what you get. You have to plan your cuts without the 8' length capacity, makes squaring up sheets a bit more challenging. But its a compact foot print and you are saving thousands of dollars. If money and space are no object I'd go bigger, but for many shops this type of saw is the best compromise, and grizzly has put a lot of value into this package. The adjustments and stops lack the finesse of a Griggio or Felder, but they also lack the $10K price tag. The business end is all there, it cuts square, it cuts smooth,the slider is pretty decent over its whole range. So I cant talk you out of it if its what you want.

ed vitanovec
09-18-2015, 7:57 PM
I highly recommend this saw, I loved mine and will buy another when I am back in a new home.

Silas Smith
09-18-2015, 8:43 PM
Just so there isn't any confusion, I'm not trying to justify needing the saw! That's an argument I would lose every time :-) I'm mostly looking for input about the ability of the machine to produce straight and repeatable cuts and if it holds its settings. I'm a total hobbiest who knocks out about 2 to 3 major projects a year at most. Smaller 3 car garage to hold everything (not complaining, but space is limited) so a full sized panel saw is off the table.

I could see someday moving up to a 5 function machine with a full size slider, but that is a ways down the road. Thanks for the input so far, like I said, I can't find alot of complaints from actual users when you factor the price in. One other question I have is how hard would it be to add a router into the side and perhaps a Bies fence?

Andrew Joiner
09-18-2015, 9:08 PM
What do you make?
If you want to cut 4x8 sheets a vertical panel saw is cheaper and more efficient.
I had a Safety Speed Cut from 1970 to 2005. You get splinter free cuts with good blades. Now in my hobby wood shop, I use a vertical panel saw that I made. I get cutting accuracy of 1/64" straight and square just like my old Safety Speed Cut.

The vertical saws are the way to go for 1 person, especially if you store your sheets on edge. I can slide sheets thru without scratching veneer faces. If you store your sheets on the faces and have a way to lift them onto a slider, you may be OK.

A vertical saw and storage take up less space. You can flip thru sheets on edge with less effort as you select the stock you want to cut.

John Lankers
09-18-2015, 9:09 PM
Just so there isn't any confusion, I'm not trying to justify needing the saw! That's an argument I would lose every time :-) I'm mostly looking for input about the ability of the machine to produce straight and repeatable cuts and if it holds its settings. I'm a total hobbiest who knocks out about 2 to 3 major projects a year at most. Smaller 3 car garage to hold everything (not complaining, but space is limited) so a full sized panel saw is off the table.

I could see someday moving up to a 5 function machine with a full size slider, but that is a ways down the road. Thanks for the input so far, like I said, I can't find alot of complaints from actual users when you factor the price in. One other question I have is how hard would it be to add a router into the side and perhaps a Bies fence?

Silas, I don't own any Grizzly tools, but after all I've read and heard about them it seems if there is an issue they try hard to make it right - so, why not.
Regarding your plans for a future upgrade to a full combo machine, I traded a 4 Function Felder for a saw/shaper and a jointer/planer. Both machines can be set up against opposing walls, leaving you all the space in the middle, where a full combo needs to sit more or less in the center and is often just blocking the way - not always, but you need to take that into consideration.
I very much like the idea of installing a router in the saw, but how about building a table extension (removable?) on either the infeed or outfeed side and utilize the slider as workpiece holder, that way you could have the best of both worlds - just an idea.