PDA

View Full Version : Track saw guide rail length advice needed

Bob Falk
09-18-2015, 9:47 AM
I am in the market for a track saw and have narrowed it down to the Makita or Dewalt (can't justify the cost of the Festool). I have read the million or so online threads on these saws and watched Youtube videos and I am still confused about track length. I want to be able to break down 8' sheet stock as well as cutting a straight edge on thicker 8' lumber (5/4 and sometimes 6/4).

The Dewalt has a 102" track and some reviews wish it was a bit longer as it is said that the saw nearly disengages as it reaches the end of the 8' cut. Is this really a problem? Can I cut FULL depth for an 8' length?

The Makita has a 118" track and I presume is enough length to support the saw for the full 8' length at full depth. True? Given the longer track length, will this saw cut longer than 8', say 8'2" or 8'3" and stay fully engaged on the track? That would be nice as a lot of rough lumber comes slightly longer than 8'.

One problem I am having with the 118" is storage in my modest sized shop. As I have 9' ceilings, I could store the 102" Dewalt rail vertically against a wall, however the Makita rail would require horizontal storage which is in short supply in my shop. Any thoughts on storing these longer rails?

I would also consider purchasing two shorter rails and connecting when needed, however I foresee a hassle with alternating between long cuts requiring connecting the rails and crosscuts needing only one rail. Thoughts about this?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, bob

mreza Salav
09-18-2015, 9:51 AM
I have the makita 118" track and use with my Festool saw. Works fine for breaking down 8' and a bit longer. I store it horizontally on the wall.
I have a shorter track as well.

Jamie Buxton
09-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Connecting two short rails to get a long one is not just a hassle. It is an accuracy problem. You have to be able to connect the rails so that they produce a straight long rail. A bent rail is pretty useless. In my attempts at that, I couldn't get the joined short rails to stay straight enough.

Cliff Polubinsky
09-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Bob,

I've got the Dewalt with the 102" track. I've never had a problem cutting 8' sheets.

Cliff

Brett Luna
09-18-2015, 10:42 AM
To piggyback on Cliff's post, I also have the 102" track. While a few extra inches would be nice to have, I haven't had a significant problem with 8' cuts.

Harvey Miller
09-18-2015, 12:29 PM
One problem I am having with the 118" is storage in my modest sized shop. As I have 9' ceilings, I could store the 102" Dewalt rail vertically against a wall, however the Makita rail would require horizontal storage which is in short supply in my shop. Any thoughts on storing these longer rails?

Thanks, bob

I store my rails on the horizontally on the wall, close to the ceiling. They're out of the way & less likely to be damaged. (it's especially handy of you have a set of parallel guides mounted)

Jared Sankovich
09-18-2015, 4:00 PM
I have the makita with two 55" rails. If I don't pay attention to centering it on a 8' cut I can run out of track. 102 seems really short.

Bob Falk
09-19-2015, 9:37 AM
Thanks to everyone for the great information. I will likely go with the Makita saw, 118" track, and 55" track. Makita accessories are 20% off on Amazon right now, so I am buying a bare saw and the track, connectors, and router attachment as accessories. Cheers, bob

Jim Dwight
09-19-2015, 9:02 PM
Looks like I am coming in late on this but in case it is useful, I will add a brief thought. I also have the DeWalt with 102 and 55 inch tracks. I used to think the 102 is a bit short but then I started setting it so it extends over the final end of the track about an inch and about 5 inches over the end where you start. I have no difficulty with it set up this way. With less in the starting end, the anti-backup rollers didn't engage until the cut was started which would throw me off sometimes.

It also seems like a long track might be more important with the DeWalt since the most alignment bars you can use is 1. I think you can use 2 on the others which should help.

Bob Falk
09-20-2015, 9:52 AM
Thanks Jim for the input.....Cheers, bob

Kevin Woodhead
09-22-2015, 7:33 PM
I originally bought 2-55" Makita tracks and connectors along with the Makita saw, thinking that easy storage would be more important than the time it takes to connect the tracks. Later on I bought the 118" Makita track and use it all the time. Were I to do it over again, I would buy exactly what you propose above. I store the long track suspended from the ceiling above my garage door.

Allan Speers
09-22-2015, 8:09 PM
I use the Eurekazone, and with a 7 1/4" saw, I find that 108" is just about the minimum I can stand to work with.

I want some support for the saw before I start cutting, not just at the end. I went with 112", and am glad I did, because afterwards I got a track-base for my router, and that requires even more track-support before the cut.