PDA

View Full Version : vfd advice? drill press, possibly lathe

cody michael
09-18-2015, 9:08 AM
I just won an auction for a Powermatic drill press and a delta dl 40 lathe, I know the drill press is 3 phase, I would assume the lathe is, I don't know much about 3 phase, but from what I read it seems vfd's are the best option, I found this one on eBay for about 100$ budget is very tight after the tool purchase but I don't want to waste money on trash, has anyone used this or similair converters? will they work for lathe and drill press? I would like the lathe converter to work with at least a 3hp motor to leave room for a motor upgrade if I find it is necessary. any advice is greatly appreciated. if I wired the converter in by my fuse box could I run both tools off it? they would never be ran at the same time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-2KW-3HP-7A-220VAC-SINGLE-PHASE-VARIABLE-FREQUENCY-DRIVE-INVERTER-VSD-VFD-/252094537643?hash=item3ab2015fab

Erik Manchester
09-18-2015, 10:06 AM
Cody,

Is the drill press 220v 3 phase, as that is what that VFD is designed to run. That VFD is also designed to power up to a 3 HP motor and you may find that if the motor is only 3/4 or 1 HP that you cannot get an overload protection setting low enough (as a percentage of the FLA) to protect the motor. You can get the same VFD but in a smaller size that would be better suited for a 1 HP size motor. Check the motors on both tools for voltage, phase and insulation class. With the TEFC motors, if you run them at low speed for long periods they can overheat as the cooling fans are not as efficient at the slower speeds. Usually not a problem with a drill press, but may be with a lathe for example. Post some pics when you get the tools and pics of the motor data plates.

VFDs are the cheapest way to go you just want to get the right size VFD.

cody michael
09-18-2015, 10:12 AM
this is the drill press, I don't know to much about it, just trying to do my research so I can be ready to go when I pick it up

http://zeropercent.co/auction/1076-powermatic-1150-drill-press/

Malcolm McLeod
09-18-2015, 10:41 AM
...has anyone used this or similair converters?
...will they work for lathe and drill press? ...could I run both tools off it?

I've used a lot of VFD's, but never this manufacturer (never even heard of them). Check for website. Do they have USA distributor? Do they have online or phone based tech support? Or none? And in particular, check if the manual is available online. Read through it and decide if you think you can configure it based on info provided. Look at the overload protection range and make sure it will provide adequate protection for both tool's motor. If your input to VFD is 220V/1-phase, make sure the VFD doesn't need to be de-rated, or least not so much that it won't run your tools. (Generally, VFD's of 3Hp or less don't need de-rate - - but check!)

You can use for both tools, but it may require numerous changes to configuration between each tool use. The number of changes will increase with the differences in motors (if you use same motor on both, there could be no changes needed). You could even install a 'simplex' receptacle downstream of the VFD and simply plug the tool-of-choice into receptacle and fire up. If, down the road, you're going to buy new motors, look for "inverter duty" - particularly as suggested on the lathe.

Never start the VFD and then apply the load (i.e. start VFD, then start the tool). Always plug in the tool, turn ON tool, then start the VFD.

Malcolm McLeod
09-18-2015, 10:58 AM
Cody,
You might look at Automation Direct website for "GS2-23P0" (no affiliation). You'll pay $200 more, but they've been around for awhile, have a fairly good reputation, and my (few) attempts to get tech support from them have been successful.

You'll have to decide what tech support is worth to you relative to your time, but in my business, time is money and the clock will eat the price difference in a hurry!

Matt Day
09-18-2015, 11:06 AM
The teco FM50 is pretty much the standard recommendation.

Malcolm McLeod
09-18-2015, 11:11 AM
The teco FM50 is pretty much the standard recommendation.

I'd do Allen-Bradley PowerFlex family. D--- the torpedoe$, full $peed ahead!! Or, variable $peed ahead!! Or, maybe rever$e variable $peed ahead?!

Erik Manchester
09-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Gents,

This is just a Huanyang VFD sold by a different company. I have two at home, one on a Wadkin Lathe with a 1.5 HP motor and one on a General 340 drill press with a 2 HP motor (see link).

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/beletuen/Tools/General%20340%20Drill%20Press/IMG_20150606_202656_zpslwhim3c0.jpg

These VFDs are designed to run spindles on CNC machines and are vector drives with more capabilities than a Teco FM50-203C (I have one of those also that came with a machine I bought). This VFD will have push button reverse and you can dial in speed adjustment via the rheostat on the drive if you wish. The control circuitry for VFDs is different that you are used to but avoids the need for magnetic starters and overload protection as the VFD does all of that.

They are not Allen Bradley industrial grade drives, but they are replaceable for $100. I have one I keep on the shelf as a spare.

If you want to buy an industrial grade VFD unit, expect to pay much more and they can still have component failure.

Cody, if you paid $300 for that drill press you stole it. As a hobbiest, you could buy three or four of these for less than the cost of the Allen Bradley Malcolm mentions, and the Huanyang are much easier to program. Your budget, your decision.

I would still take a look at the motor tag to make sure that you know what the voltage is (i.e. 220v three phase).

Malcolm McLeod
09-18-2015, 11:47 AM
... three or four of these for less than the cost of the Allen Bradley Malcolm mentions...

More like 5 or 6; A-B is REALLY proud of their products.

Please note I didn't say "I recommend". For myself, it is back to the time-is-money issue. I use a lot of AB products, have the software interface to them handy, and even old config files to speed set-up. ..to each their own.;)

Erik Manchester
09-18-2015, 11:52 AM
Malcolm, if I were a business and not a hobbiest I would be using industrial grade control gear but that just is not viable for me. I know that some folks that have industrial electrician connections can get used AB drives for next to nothing as industry buys new, but I don't have any friends like that where I live (LOL). I have been very pleased with the Huanyang drives I have, especially considering what I paid for them. They are basically disposable electronics that give me options I could not afford if I were having to by the AB equivalent.

Matt Day
09-18-2015, 2:21 PM
Thanks for your input Erik. I might need another VFD at some point and at $109 the price is right.

Mike Wilkins
09-18-2015, 2:55 PM
If you don't want to deal with VFD or 3 phase, a drill press should not be a problem to change out the motor for single phase. These are not complicated machines. I am assuming that the speed change mechanism is still intact (pulleys on the shaft and the motor). Motors are available at lots of places, from mail order (think Grizzly) or a local site (Horrible Fright).

Steven Wayne
09-18-2015, 3:09 PM
I've used Teco FM50's and Automation Direct's GS2 in my shop and every major brand at work. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this drive. I actually need two more drives and found a USA seller of these drives in California. Thinking I'll order them when my allowance comes in..

Malcolm McLeod
09-18-2015, 3:35 PM
It finally sunk in that my post could probably be (or was) interpreted as bragging about how much I spend on VFDs. It was certainly not my intent.:o

Professionally, I've used a lot of AB products, including their VFDs. In my shop, I have yet to find justification for it. The speed control on the router is plenty. If I were to suddenly find this 'magic', I'd look hard at AB - - just because I don't have to eat the learning curve on another platform.

Erik Manchester
09-18-2015, 10:58 PM
Malcolm,

Having the knowledge and experience to program these industrial drives is awful handy as they are capable of so much more than the typical hobbies the uses them for IF you know how to set them up. Me, I just use them for three phase power, on, off, reverse and speed selection.

cody michael
09-19-2015, 9:11 AM
The person running the auction said he thinks the lathe is 1 phase, I'm hoping he is right. Then I just need to buy a vfd for drill press. Thanks for.you input I think I will try that one on ebay.