PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling fans in the shop ?

mark mcfarlane
09-18-2015, 5:00 AM
I'm building a new workshop in south Texas, probably 10' ceilings. Will be heated and AC'd. Contemplating ceiling fans to cut down on AC cost a tad... but I can imagine whacking them a lot ...

Do you have ceiling fans? How's it working out?

Matt Krusen
09-18-2015, 8:35 AM
I have a ceiling fan and use it pretty frequently. I tend to keep it off if I'm doing something super dusty. But its on the majority of the time I'm doing hand joinery, assembly, etc. or just putzing around the shop. It definitely feels nice having a little breeze in there. With 10 ft ceilings I don't think you'll have any issues. Go for it!

Steven Wayne
09-18-2015, 8:59 AM
I have the Home Depot industrial 60" fans in my shop. They move the air around and make a big difference. My ceiling is closer to 11'. They work great in conjunction with the mini split heat pumps to keep things comfy.

They come with 4 speed controller and are about $100 out the door. I'm happy with them. Will have six when I'm done.

glenn bradley
09-18-2015, 9:43 AM
Dad has two at about 9 feet. No trouble to date but, he does little with long stock. We do move material around and one is over the lathe so the opportunity is there. Its been a few years with no "events". ;-)

Jamie Buxton
09-18-2015, 10:08 AM
I've worked in a shop with hanging lights. I whacked them too often. Can you use some other kind of fan -- for instance, squirrel cage blowers at the edge of the ceiling?

Steve Peterson
09-18-2015, 11:43 AM
I've worked in a shop with hanging lights. I whacked them too often. Can you use some other kind of fan -- for instance, squirrel cage blowers at the edge of the ceiling?

Why not take it another step further and install an air cleaner? Mount it near a corner to keep the air moving around the perimeter of the room. If this creates a dead spot in the center, then put a ceiling fan there.

Fans are cheap enough that they should be easy to add at a later time.

Steve

Lee Schierer
09-18-2015, 1:32 PM
I have a ceiling fan in my shop. Even with AC it helps just to move the air around and it makes you feel cooler. I have an 8 foot ceiling and the fan hangs down to clear a beam. I don't run it all the time, only when it feels warm in the shop when I'm working. I think I have whacked one piece of wood with it in the 20 years I've had it.

Peter Aeschliman
09-18-2015, 1:38 PM
Why not take it another step further and install an air cleaner? Mount it near a corner to keep the air moving around the perimeter of the room. If this creates a dead spot in the center, then put a ceiling fan there.

Fans are cheap enough that they should be easy to add at a later time.

Steve

I agree with Steve. Might as well move air AND filter it at the same time. If you hit your air scrubbers with something, it's less dramatic than a fan.

Martin Wasner
09-18-2015, 1:58 PM
On a low ceiling, I'd likely destroy them in no time swinging material around.

Alan Lightstone
09-18-2015, 2:01 PM
I agree with Steve. Might as well move air AND filter it at the same time. If you hit your air scrubbers with something, it's less dramatic than a fan.
I couldn't agree more. While the air cleaner doesn't move air as rapidly as a fan, and is somewhat noisy on high, I'm astounded how quickly it cleans the air of particles, when I look at my Dylos meter.

I'd go with the air cleaner.

David Hill
09-18-2015, 6:35 PM
I have two ceiling fans in my shop AND a homemade air cleaner. (My shop is a metal building, high ceiling)
The fans work in conjunction with a couple of floor fans, helps but in SE Texas it's still plenty hot. The air cleaner was a really good project---what it picks up from sanding is amazing.
Planning on an AC unit soon as I figure where I want it to go.

David C. Roseman
09-19-2015, 2:19 PM
Agree with adding an air cleaner, in lieu of or addition to a ceiling fan. It will be louder than a fan, but it will provide air movement to help with comfort, and clean it at the same time. The most dangerous wood particles in the air are the fines. Seems to me a ceiling fan would tend to keep them in circulation much longer.

mark mcfarlane
09-19-2015, 6:15 PM
An air cleaner is also planned, thanks for the idea. Although not impossible to add ceiling fans later, at a minimum I'd want to wire for them up front.

Anyone know of a really quiet air cleaner?

Jim Laumann
09-21-2015, 12:45 PM
My shop has 12' ceilings. I bought a used ceiling fan ($5) - it came out of the dining room of the previous owner - 42-48" dia on the blades, installed it. My reason for the install was to help push warm air down from the ceiling in the winter - mix and circulated the warm & cold. It works for that purpose. For cooling, it's too small. You only feel the breeze it you are directly under it. Have played w/ the blade direction switch - no effect in the summer.

My neighbor has a shop larger than mine, has 5-6 fans in his. In his you feel the effect of the fans.