PDA

View Full Version : New Laser Purchase

Julian Ashcroft
09-18-2015, 4:10 AM
About 18 months ago I purchased a Shenhui SH-G350 50w laser. I upgraded it about six months ago with a 60w tube and power supply. Over my time of ownership it has pretty much been problem free. The bed size is around 450 x 300 mm and I have used the machine mainly for cutting 3.6mm plywood (18mm second at 95% power) raster engraving chopping boards and hardwood signs (usually 200mm second at 40% power) and raster engraving leather woggles (100mm second at 30% power).

I feel I need a slightly bigger bed, but am restricted on what I can fit into my home workshop and a more powerful laser to speed up the cutting and be able to move up to 6mm plywood and cut this at a reasonable speed.

When I purchased the SH-G350 I dealt directly with the factory in China and with a Customs Brokerage company in the UK. The purchase and delivery was all very problem free. Once a machine assenand price was agreed I paid the money, the machine was delivered to the port in China, where my Broker took over and their Agent in China arranged shipping to the UK, Customs clearance and onward delivery to my address in the Isle of Man (road haulage, another sea trip and road haulage to my home) was all dealt with by the broker. Cost all in for the machine, shipping, customs, duty, etc, came to around £2,000.00.

I'm thinking of getting a new machine with a 900 x 600mm bed and a 100w laser. Auto focus would be nice. I have looked at machines I can buy in the UK, most are Chinese imports and I can buy something around what I want for about £6,000.00 to £7,500.00. There are a few UK manufactured machines and European models available but they are out of my budget and as I will mostly be using the machine for hobby stuff and selling items at the odd craft fair and my small online shop I can't really justify spending a lot of money on a machine, so I'm looking at self importing again.

I have been back in touch with Shenhui in China and they have quoted for a SHG-690 at $2,750.00 (£1,764.81). That's without a tube. A 100w S4 RECI Tube is an additional $380.00 (£243.85) and they do a couple of chiller Units, a CW3000 at $150.00 (£96.24) and the CW5000 at $388.00 (£248.98). I know the CW3000 isn't really a chiller but may go for this one as I have a very nice CW4000 which I would keep for the new machine and pass the CW3000 on to whoever buys my existing laser.

I haven't made any firm decisions yet to go ahead, I'm waiting for some more information for Shenhui and will have to see how much shipping, customs charges and onward delivery to my home address would be, but if I do decide to purchase the machine I would like to spend a total as close to no more than £4,000.00 as possible.

I will document the purchase in this thread, which may be of interest to other who are considering going the direct import route. I would also welcome any comments from forum users to what I'm thinking of doing.

Below are a few images of the sort of stuff I presently do on my machine.

Keith Winter
09-18-2015, 10:01 AM
Great looking work!

Dave Sheldrake
09-18-2015, 12:59 PM
100+ watts is going to make engraving a bit of a problem Ju

Julian Ashcroft
09-18-2015, 1:03 PM
I was wondering about that myself. Do you think I wont be able to dial the laser power down low enough, or speed the travel up to make it engrave well?

David Somers
09-18-2015, 2:03 PM
Ju,

Dave Sheldrake can confirm this, but 80watt should be a good power compromise. Decent cutting speeds while still controllable for engraving. That is what I have at Dave's suggestion and it works fine. He had also recommended an EFR tube over RECI if possible. Not sure if that is still his recommendation?

Very exciting!! And nice looking work!!!

Dave

Dave Sheldrake
09-18-2015, 2:15 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yup

Julian Ashcroft
09-24-2015, 9:09 AM
Just had a quote in for shipping from China to the UK and onward delivery to my home address in the Isle of Man, this also includes dealing with the crate through customs and the various fees payable, but not any Duty and VAT which will have to be paid on top. Price is £1,131.76. They have broken the cost down and for shipping from the China to the UK it's £42.00 and it's £605.00 from Felixstowe to the Isle of Man.

If my sums are right total price for the laser should be around £4,400.00 (including Duty and VAT).