PDA

View Full Version : Looks a bit strange...

steven c newman
09-17-2015, 9:30 PM
A plane shaped object landed on my front porch today, just about Lunchtime. Once it was out of the FedEx box....
Hmmm, that is different..:rolleyes:
Does have some good bones though.
The bolt holding the spool in place? The threaded rod was there, but the brass end wasn't. The was, however, a saw nut.....:confused:
Took this thing to the shop, stripped it down to just ......parts. Found a spare knob and bolt. Low knob, but will have to do.
That was just rust...there looked like someone had sprayed clearcoat on things:mad:. Took awhile, with a wire wheel, to get rid of the junk..
Got all parts cleaned up. Tuned the chipbreaker, sharpened the too old iron. Seems it was a T-7 or so? About 1907~
Sole was flattened, sides cleaned up. Was MAYBE 50% of the black still in place. Gave the bare spots a shot of black Rustoleum. While that dried, finished with the iron. Started to put things back together...
Near as I can tell, other than the older iron, the rest seems to be a Type 13. needs the correct tall knob and a SW iron, is about all. It did made a few Sycamore shavings, though..
As for that spool? Tossed it, this is a Stanley plane, not a Singer plane.:rolleyes:

Barry Dima
09-18-2015, 9:29 AM
A plane shaped object landed on my front porch today, just about Lunchtime. Once it was out of the FedEx box....

As for that spool? Tossed it, this is a Stanley plane, not a Singer plane.:rolleyes:

Looks sew-sew to me.

Mike Cherry
09-18-2015, 9:40 AM
Nice job on the resto. The spool jokes are hilarious already haha. Can't imagine that spool was comfortable to hold for any time at all.

Mel Fulks
09-18-2015, 9:41 AM
Yes,but every fiber of its being went toward starting new threads !

Jim Koepke
09-18-2015, 12:02 PM
Yes,but every fiber of its being went toward starting new threads !

Yes, we should expect a string of those.

jtk

Malcolm McLeod
09-18-2015, 12:08 PM
I suspect people will needle you about this.

Barry Dima
09-18-2015, 12:31 PM
I suspect people will needle you about this.

Hopefully knot any of Steven's close-knit friends. That'd unravel nearly anyone.

steven c newman
09-18-2015, 1:07 PM
Lets see. the threaded rod for this spool had a saw nut instead of the normal brass nut.
Threaded rod?
For a sewing thread spool
In a plane "thread"?

Plane does need a couple items, though....a "proper knob " for a type 13 plane. It will also need an iron with a SW in the logo. Iron on board now is from way before the SW era...about 1907 or so. Getting a bit used up, anyway,

So....I guess I'll keep looking for the other parts.....anyone need a spool?

Tom Stenzel
09-18-2015, 6:02 PM
Steve, I have to say your posts keep me in stitches. Bet you have lots of yarns to tell the grandkids.

Are you really looking for a the proper knob or do you have a preference of a low or high knob? Or don't you give a darn? I'm sure something tailor-made will turn out soon.

Any more bad puns from me and I won't be treading water anymore. I'll be bobbin.

-Tom

steven c newman
09-21-2015, 2:08 PM
Well, dug around today. Found a half finished knob blank. Chucked it up into the drill press. Rat-tail rasp, and a bunch of sandpaper. Forstner bit to refine a couple holes. Bras nut came in the mail...adjusted the holes to fit it
Type 13 Stanleys had a "high" knob, but no base ring. Rod is the OEM one. Added the brass end. Looked better than the saw nut, anyway. Wood is splated Maple.....didn't have any Rosewood handy. It does look a little better than that spool, though.. Still needs a finish on it.

Mel Fulks
09-21-2015, 2:54 PM
Yeah, the "sock darning knob" is the most useful and popular.

Bill Houghton
09-22-2015, 5:21 PM
You threw out a wooden spool??? Those things aren't common anymore.

steven c newman
09-22-2015, 7:23 PM
Nah, it is still sitting there, on the workbench's tool well....still has the paper labels, too. PM if anyone wants it....

Bill Houghton
09-22-2015, 10:07 PM
I'm tempted to say I want it, but I have too many things already.

Years ago, when I bought my 1949 Studebaker truck for $25, it came without a knob for the glove compartment door. I used a spool for a knob. My son now has the truck and has put a diesel motor (John Deere motor from a street sweeper), turbo-charged it, put someone else's 4-speed tranny and rear axle on (I have trouble keeping up), spliced in a 3/4 ton rear frame and boxed and otherwise reinforced the front (cab forward) part of the frame, installed disc brakes on the front, changed over to heavier wheels after the stock wheels kept breaking, replaced the steering and brake systems, built an entirely new instrument panel, and is partway through building a utility bed for it. The spool is still there, and he's made it clear that it's staying. Gets me all mushy; I raised that boy right.

steven c newman
09-22-2015, 11:40 PM
One of these trucks?

Even has an "S" on the Diff. had a few at the local cruise-in a while back....

Mike Null
09-23-2015, 7:49 AM
That spool is from another era. When I was a kid there were a million things you could make with spools.

Joe Tilson
09-23-2015, 2:12 PM
I'll take it! I have an old plane that needs to be spooled up.

steven c newman
09-23-2015, 5:46 PM
Labels are a bit rough, though
Heavy Duty, no less.

steven c newman
09-25-2015, 11:06 AM
Picked another Type 13 this morning....this one has ALL the correct parts it is supposed to have, along with a little rust
Even has the rosewood handles( crack-free) and the iron has the SW stamped in it. Yard sale item ( no shipping to pay!!) for.....$2 Might be a keeper?

Jim Koepke
09-25-2015, 11:46 AM
$2 for a type 13 would have even tempted me.

jtk

Chris Hachet
09-28-2015, 8:07 AM
Another neat plane restore. I need to make it back up to your neck of the woods...

steven c newman
09-28-2015, 8:55 AM
Come up next Oct 3rd...BIG Tool Auction a three block walk from my house......

lowell holmes
09-28-2015, 11:09 AM
Come up next Oct 3rd...BIG Tool Auction a three block walk from my house......

What are you going to due when you run out of room for anymore goodies?

It happens to many of us. It's bad when you stumble across a tool you had forgotten you had.

steven c newman
09-28-2015, 3:03 PM
Been selling a lot of the so-called extras off. Have to keep culling the herds, as it were. Almost like a "Catch & Release" program, with just the best ones sticking around.

yard sale season is almost over around here....maybe a month more. Have the randome auctions I can go to, and a few "special" shops I know about....

Trying right now to figure what "style" of tools I want to work with the most. Still getting a kick out of just doing the restores, though.