PDA

View Full Version : Detached Garage Questions

Rich Riddle
09-17-2015, 6:06 PM
We are under contract for a piece of property that has a structurally defective block detached garage. We plan to demolish it and build a better garage in its place. The location of the garage is almost like a walk-out basement with the garage built into the hill. That works fine but I am wondering how difficult it will be to build a replacement. I prefer poured concrete walls to the block ones.

Looking at 2-car detached designs, I keep getting links to Ted's Woodworking Scam. We are pondering building a gambrel type garage for storage above the garage. Anyone have any good ideas or links? Please none to Ted's place. Thanks.

Rich

Erik Loza
09-17-2015, 6:11 PM
Our detached garage is just a slab, then we ordered the garage from Tuffshed. Typical pre-fabbed, truss-type construction. They came and assembled it on-site. 7+ years now, no complaints.

Erik

Tony Zona
09-17-2015, 7:03 PM
Make sure once you demolish the garage local zoning will allow you to put up another.

Rich Riddle
09-17-2015, 7:07 PM
Make sure once you demolish the garage local zoning will allow you to put up another.
Didn't even ponder that. Thanks for that advise. This might be a "repair" one half at a time.

Tony Zona
09-17-2015, 7:19 PM
that's what my contractor did.

Keith Westfall
09-18-2015, 12:29 AM
Might be very wise to consider a reno, one half at a time...