PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw blade

john jean
09-17-2015, 3:04 PM
has anyone used the Highland Woodworking woodslicer resaw bandsaw blade on their 14 in saw. do you like it thnx

Matt Day
09-17-2015, 3:49 PM
John,

That blade has been around for a long time and there is lots of infoation here on SMC about it. Use the google search bar (upper right of desktop view) and use the search string "woodslicer 14" and you'll get lots of results. such as:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?971-Highland-Hardware-Wood-Slicer-Blade&styleid=4

Just be careful, there are an enormous amount of bandsaw blade threads and it can make your head spin!

john jean
09-17-2015, 4:04 PM
thanks matt

Rich Enders
09-17-2015, 4:08 PM
I used it with a standard Ridgid 14", and now also since I have added the riser. It is a great combination for resawing, and most other cuts.

Joe Kaufman
09-17-2015, 4:26 PM
They are great for re-sawing while they are sharp. Haven't found anything better at a reasonable price for my 14" Rikon saw. Now, while they are sharp seems to be a shorter period than other blades.

Three years ago I purchased a 4 blade KERFMaster sample pack from Spectrum Supply ($57 delivered) that is supposed to be the same band material as the WoodSlicer. I didn't do a direct A/B comparison so couldn't tell if the quality of cut was equal. General feeling, it wasn't, so back to the WoodSlicer.

Dan Hahr
09-18-2015, 12:05 AM
They are good when they are sharp. Sharp doesn't last long at all, though. Also, they are so thin kerf, that if your saw isn't set up perfectly, you will have issues with resawing straight.

I changed to a Lenox Diemaster II 1/2" blade. Much nicer and it hasn't dulled yet. Also, it's worth noting that the regular Diemaster in 3/4" 3H works very nicely on my PM 20" saw. The techs at Lenox tell me that its exactly the same blade as the Diemaster II except for the dimensions.

Dan

Art Mann
09-18-2015, 12:24 AM
I am using a Woodslicer 3/4" resaw blade on my Laguna 14/12 right now and it works fine. I can't say anything about longevity because I just mounted it a few months ago.

John TenEyck
09-18-2015, 7:46 AM
My experience was poor. Cut quality is excellent but it will bind if the wood moves even just a tiny amount because the kerf is almost zero. Life was not an issue because it was just unusable for me. I've since been using a Diemaster II. Cut quality is not as good, though still plenty acceptable, but there are no problems with binding. Life seems very good, too.

John