PDA

View Full Version : pm 66 vs unisaw

cody michael
09-17-2015, 12:40 PM
I have a unisaw and I have been perfectly happy with it, I was bidding on a delta DL 40 lathe at a online tool auction, and won a pm66 for 200$ it looks like it has a solid cast iron top, my unisaw has a beis fence which looks alot nicer then the fence on the unisaw. the pm66 I assume is 3 phase so I would need a converter and fence to be what I want, am I better off keeping the unisaw and sell pm66 or keep pm66 sell unisaw?

pm66 tablesaw, (232$) I assume 3 phase
http://zeropercent.co/auction/1056-powermatic-66-table-saw/

lathe 700$
http://zeropercent.co/auction/1025-delta-dl-40-lathe/

a powermatic 1150 drill (243$) So I will be buying a vfd for this

http://zeropercent.co/auction/1004-powermatic-1150-drill/

joe maday
09-17-2015, 1:01 PM
nice purchases! The right side cast iron wings on the PM66 alone are worth the price! you can always upgrade the fence to a new delta/biesemeyer.

David Kumm
09-17-2015, 2:21 PM
There isn't a huge difference between a uni and 66 if condition is similar. If you need to add a vfd because you don't have three phase, it would be better to upgrade to a PM 72 or Delta 12-14. I see your move as more lateral than upward. Dave

Matt Day
09-17-2015, 2:23 PM
Sweet deals!

I'd keep the PM, but I like new-to-me tools and fixing them up to good working condition.

roger wiegand
09-17-2015, 3:01 PM
Classically the choice was between tilt left and tilt right (I guess Unisaws now come in both right and wrong way orientations?) Both are great saws. Even if you buy a new single phase motor you'll be ahead of the game.

Mike Hollingsworth
09-17-2015, 4:18 PM
I've rebuilt both. PM is beefier and has larger bearings. Delta has smaller bearings but they are on both sides of the belt pulley. Myself, I wouldn't own a Delta product these days. Powermatic seems to be making a comeback of sorts, but I would agree, all things equal, it's a lateral move.

Peter Quinn
09-17-2015, 9:16 PM
I own a PM66 and am partial toward them, but if you have a uni with a beis fence I'd keep that over the old style PM fence. I prefer the left tilt and and the price you paid if the PM really strikes you there is certainly value in a fence upgrade and a VFD if necessary. I would not assume anything regarding power supply, they made them 3 phase, single and 110 2HP that far back! Se what you got and make your decision...not a bad position to be in!

Bruce Wrenn
09-17-2015, 9:46 PM
If memory serves me correct, and it may not, the PM 66 uses a NEMA 56-C motor, which is a common type. Same type of motor used on jet pumps as an example.

Allan Speers
09-17-2015, 9:53 PM
A 3 HP VFD will cost you about $300. You'll get soft-start, dynamic braking, and motor protection in the bargain. Vari-speed too, though that doesn't matter with a TS unless you need to cut metal.

Then you have a 3 PH motor which theoretically will run a lot longer with no problems. No caps to die, to centrifigal switch to break or seize up ....

If you use your saw a LOT, I'd consider this route and swap the Bies fence.

Aw heck, no I wouldn't, I have better things to do with my time! :D

Allan Speers
09-17-2015, 9:54 PM
Heck, keep 'em both and set one up as a dedicated dado machine.

- If you're that sort.

cody michael
09-18-2015, 6:59 AM
Thanks I'll be picking up my new tools on Thursday I can't wait.

Matt Day
09-18-2015, 7:13 AM
I'm sure you made arrangements with auctioneer/seller, but the website states pickup is Friday 9/25.

In any case, post some pictures of your haul when you get it!

cody michael
09-18-2015, 2:38 PM
I'm working on making arrangements I bought 5 items total, 2 of them are Friday pickup 3 thurs, the Thursday ones are the more important, so I will be going there thursday, it's a 2 hrs drive... I have talked to guy running the auction, he is hopeful about me being able to get everything thurs

Mike Schuch
09-19-2015, 1:41 AM
The Powermatic has a left tilt blade which I prefer to the Unisaw right tilt blade. But I really haven't cut any chamfers on a right tilt saw.
I don't think you could go wrong with either the Powermatic or Unisaw.

jack duren
09-19-2015, 4:19 PM
Have the unisaw at home. Have the Powermatic at work. Cuts the same. You pick. I use the tilt 3% of the time, doesn't influence my purchase or need. So left or right doesn't matter to me.

Wouldn't waste my time with 3 phase. Beefier????? Not sure why this would make a difference. Some people feel the more steel the better, not always.

Mike Hollingsworth
09-19-2015, 6:01 PM
Beefier????? Not sure why this would make a difference.
I never said it made a difference, but beefier will last longer in the hands of the typical employee.
PM66 had larger bearings on one side of the belt pulley. Unison had smaller ones on both sides of the pulley. Both Great American Manufacturers, one with a very sad ending.

Carroll Courtney
09-19-2015, 6:16 PM
I have both but use the 66 more than the uni,if I was going to sell one it would be the unisaw.Why?If the motor goes out on the uni,hold on to your bank account.But that's not the only reason,like others its just more of a heavy duty saw.I have had both saws for several yrs and have no plans of selling either one just because I like both

jack duren
09-19-2015, 6:17 PM
Never said anything to anyone directly about being beefier. But.... "beefier will last longer in the hands of the typical employee" In 32yrs as an payed employee I've yet to notice a difference. That's a salesman's pitch.

I'll sum this up easily....

Many shops have one or both in their workplace. If you asked which they preferred they would say they don't give a crap. why????? Because they both get the job done. They don't care about color or weight. Bearings go out on new and used, you can't predict this.