PDA

View Full Version : Update on Wynn filter selection.

Bob Coates
09-16-2015, 11:12 PM
I posted a query awhile ago on selection of 35a filter selection and everyone seem to say talk to them. I did and here is the results.
Just want to let you know that I talked with Dick Wynn and he suggested a C1425c filter instead of one of the 35A series. He sent an article from Fine Woodworking March/April 2013 that shows how they installed the filter. Attached are the pictures of my installatioin. I used a 24 segment ring with cord length of 2 ½ inches (that’s why I posted in this form---:D) since it a segmented ring.

Dick also suggested I look at Stumpy Nubs manometer gauge(#59) to check filter clogging . Instead of using his rubber disk, I just used a section of 3/8 lamp rod. Used the lid as shown in the fine woodworking article to attach the filter, but decided not to use the outside ring over the top since the filter fit perfectly on the inside ring. I used ¾ x ¾ foam around the cone for seal as in first picture..

Last picture is PhilThien separator installed inside the Grizzly dust collector.
Third is upside down of c1425c filter with base that fits the inside of collector.
Second is Stumpy Nubs manometer.
First shows hose installed over lamp rod.

Now just need to find space for separator.321579321578321577321576

Keith Westfall
09-17-2015, 1:04 AM
Put a couple of drops of red food colouring in the tube and it is EASY to see!

Jeffrey J Smith
09-17-2015, 12:01 PM
Dick also suggested I look at Stumpy Nubs manometer gauge(#59) to check filter clogging
Bob: I'd be interested in hearing how the Stumpy Nubs Manometer works after you've been using it for a while. If I ever get my new shop put together I'm thinking it's a perfect time to add one to my setup...
One other thing - you put the Thein baffle on and you're planning to add a separator, too? Seems to be a little overkill. I added the nano filter to my system a while back and with a separator in-line it captures virtually everything bigger than a pinhead before it gets to the DC. The only time I've bothered to empty the bottom bag was when I put my equipment into storage, and then it had about enough to fill up a 3 lb coffee can (after about 18 months of using it. Most of that fell from the filter on those occasions when I thought to blow it out.

Bob Coates
09-17-2015, 3:29 PM
Jeffrey,
The cost to add the manometer was 0. I had the extra hose from a water level, the plastic parts were include. I didn't like drilling a big hole in the filter so just used some left over lamp pipe. Doing Stumpy test only changed meter about 1 1/2 to 2" but I could not get a tight seal with bag on the filter. Will let you know. I put the baffle in the dust collector because of limited shop space. I then found a small 20 gal trash container today and added it to the mix. Haven't decided if I am going to put a baffle in it.