PDA

View Full Version : Just might be my "go-to" Tenon saw?

steven c newman
09-16-2015, 2:39 PM
Came it the mail today. Nothing real fancy, either
Rather a Plain Jane. Steel bolts, no medallion, blued back. Not a sign of a defect anywhere.
Maybe at a later date, I might do a bit of shaping, might add some carved stuff. But for now
Full depth, and straight. Wood is some White Oak scrap. made a few more cuts..
Then, did a few shoulder cuts..
Not too hateful? No idea whom made this saw, seems to work just fine. Maybe someday, I might need to sharpen it up? $5.99 +S&H......not bad...:D

steven c newman
09-16-2015, 3:49 PM
Ok. Length of the plate is just under 14"

If I lay a ruler along the teeth, with one "point" at the 1" mark...the ninth tooth will be at the 2" mark.

Seems to be plenty of set. Didn't need to wax the plate for the above cuts.

Starts easy. No trouble with it wandering off line, no binding either.

Cuts nice and straight. may still work on the handle a bit, just a hair on the chunky side..

Phil Mueller
09-16-2015, 6:50 PM
Nice find!
On another note (not meaning to divert your thread), I am just finishing up the top for my workbench. When flattening it, I got a bit of tear out in a few spots (lots of novice reasons why...not important here). I contemplated whether to fill them for a smooth finish. Seeing your workbench in the photo above has inspired me to just leave it be...and I thank you for a dose of practical reality!

Pat Barry
09-16-2015, 7:12 PM
Hey Steven, what characteristics are there in this saw that makes it best suited as a tenon saw?

steven c newman
09-16-2015, 7:45 PM
Best rip saw I have ever had in the shop. Cuts nice and straight, on it's own. Never had any binding. Did not need any wax. easy to start the cut.

Did NOT like the boxy, chunky handle.....gave it a "diet" to slim it down a bit..
Even fits my hand better. This might be a keeper...

steven c newman
09-18-2015, 1:44 PM
What kind of back saw has just 9ppi? and is filed as a rip cut? Haven't found any markings on it as to whom made it. Spline is blued. Maybe a late type of Disston No.4 wannabe?