PDA

View Full Version : Another useles tool. No more parts available

Clarence Martin
09-16-2015, 12:40 PM
I went on a Major tool manufacturer's website to see about getting a part for a wet dry grinder that I wanted to use. The part is broke and needs to be replaced.

The problem:

That part was discontinued.

Simple white plastic gear. failed 2 times, and now they don't make the part anymore.

Manufacturing in the 21st Century.....:(

Matt Day
09-16-2015, 12:44 PM
Could they tell you where they sourced it from? Or does a support like McMaster Carr have it?

Malcolm McLeod
09-16-2015, 12:49 PM
I think other threads have referenced the same idea, but if the tool and/or project warrant the effort, take the broken gear to a machine shop and have it replicated in brass. Machinist may need the mating gear as well, so that they can get accurate tooth profile.

Or, if you're a fan of the brave new world, have it scanned and 3D-print some replacements!

Daniel Eberwein
09-16-2015, 1:34 PM

I'll finish that sentance for you "...design all products for failure within 3 to 5 years after warranty expiration, with limited replacement parts, to force consumer to purchase new products."

I have a spindle sander with same issue (well, not broke part, just lost part) but lucked out and found identical part from another manufacturer that fit perfect, and lucked out again finding that model at estate sale.

Jim German
09-16-2015, 1:47 PM
Why are you hiding the brand?

Just think, if it was manufactured in the 50's it would cost so much you couldn't afford it.

As others have mentioned, just get it machined... course the cost may be more than the price of the tool, which is why they didn't do that in the first place.

Tony Zona
09-16-2015, 1:48 PM
Is there a reason we cannot identify the manufacturer, the tool and the year of purchase? And how the part broke?

Clarence Martin
09-16-2015, 4:06 PM
Is there a reason we cannot identify the manufacturer, the tool and the year of purchase? And how the part broke?

It's the old delta wet dry grinder. Part that broke is the white plastic gear.

Phil Rose
09-16-2015, 4:12 PM
Is it the DELTA 23-710, or one of the others?

David Hawxhurst
09-16-2015, 4:14 PM
Why are you hiding the brand?

Just think, if it was manufactured in the 50's it would cost so much you couldn't afford it.

As others have mentioned, just get it machined... course the cost may be more than the price of the tool, which is why they didn't do that in the first place.

there is a big difference between having a machinist make one or two custom cut gears vs a production run of them.

John McClanahan
09-16-2015, 4:54 PM
If it is this grinder, Grizzly sells it.

John