PDA

View Full Version : Delta Bandsaw Woes

Jim Gallo
09-16-2015, 10:55 AM
Hi, I currently own a Delta 28-203 14" bandsaw that I have been having issues with lately. The problems started after I bought a Carter Ratchet-Rod tensioner. The rod (acme threads) slipped off if the saw frame and slid between the frame and the upper wheel housing. The rod was bent and I had a heck of a time getting it out. I ended up having to cut it, but I still have enough length to use it.
Then, as I was adjusting a 1/2" blade to the center of the tire, the thumb screw became very tight. I assumed it was because of the 1/2" blade, which I had never used before. A pair of vise grips on the steel thumb screw to adjust just a little more, and you guessed it, the thumb screw snapped off, leaving me no way to adjust the blade. It brike off iside the adjuster and I have no way of removing it.
When I bought this saw off of an old timer, he had that saw in pristine condition and tuned like a fine violin. I feel so bad that I have mangled this saw into the condition it now sits.
I was just about to call Iturra and order his style of heavy duty tension system, but before I had a chance to call him, I saw this bandsaw on craigslist.
Is anyone familiar with this saw, and does this seem like a fair price for it?

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/5223739166.html

I will still repair and upgrade my Delta before I either sell it, or just keep it, though I have no room for two bandsaws.
Thanks for any guidance that you might offer.

Jim

Bill ThompsonNM
09-16-2015, 11:03 AM
That's a great price for that Laguna saw. Call now!

Robert Engel
09-16-2015, 11:11 AM
IMO the Laguna is a steal. The table can be cleaned up.

Keep in mind if for nothing else but blade length, it will cost more for blades and might be a little more aggravating to change.
Check electrical req's see if its a 2HP 240V machine.

I had the reverse situation. I bought a 17" because I was sick of using underpowered saws.
I used it for a long time but it was quite aggravating changing blades back and forth.
I came across a used 12" Jet for $150 and I keep a 1/4" blade on it for those little zippy cuts I need to make.
Too bad you don't have room for both.

As far as the Delta, I respect your respect for the tool. It deserves to be fixed.
You can resaw on it just fine.
All said and done, without knowing what kind of work you do I would fix the Delta and pass on the Laguna.

Jim Gallo
09-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Bill, I emailed at 5:30 am as soon as I saw the ad, because there was no phone number.

Robert,
I do all types of work, for instance, on my bench at this moment is a F&P Blanket Chest and a purpleheart coopered lid wedding wine box.
I have a riser block on the Delta and have had some success resawing. I would like to resaw more, as well as bandsaw boxes. There is so much I'd like to do, but not enough time. I've only been woodworking for 2 years.

Jim

Jim Gallo
09-17-2015, 10:23 AM
The guy sold it out from under me. I hate the way some craigslisters do business!

Malcolm McLeod
09-17-2015, 11:01 AM
[QUOTE=Jim Gallo; ...I hate the way some craigslisters do business![/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, its a 2-way street.

I've never purchased anything, but a couple of weeks ago I CL-listed a jointer for sale. My first experience at it. I got 11 inquiries in the first 12 hours, so I guess my price was reasonable. I believe 8 of them committed to come inspect it on following Saturday, with 4 of them stating, "I want it". None showed up. (Good thing my time waiting is free!!) Two days later, another 2 folks actually showed up - both late. One offered less than half of asking; other offered 75%. I sold it to the first guy who showed up on time, then I called the next serious one on the list to let him know he didn't need to drive 2 hours the next day.

Perhaps I 'sold it out from under' the last guy. Or, perhaps he was like the first 8. I hope neither, but who knows....?? We are all tainted by the actions of others.

Best of luck in your search. Can't help with the BS, but I know of a planer....:)

Jim Gallo
09-17-2015, 1:14 PM
I definately know how it's a two way street. I've sold many items on craigslist and have some of the same problems. However, I try to be as fair as I possibly can. If someone contacts me and shows sincere interest, I set up an appt and even if I get other offers, I will first offer it to the first person who made contact with me, and also inform the other interested parties that I am going by order of contact. If I sell it to first comer, I delete the post and immediately inform other interested parties that it was sold.
I ignore lowballers and move on. I have gotten burned many times by no shows, but that is all part of doing business.

Jim Gallo
09-17-2015, 1:18 PM
Oh yea, I know I was the first person to contact this guy about the bandsaw, because he even commented in his first email back to me, that he had just posted the ad 5 minutes before I made contact. I scour craigslist every day, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day for that very reason