PDA

View Full Version : Dumpster diving alert

John T Barker
09-15-2015, 8:42 PM
If you are of a mind to dumpster dive look for furniture stores going out of business. I work for one and we are closing in a few days and the amount of usable stuff we are throwing out is heartbreaking. We sold all sorts of usable tools for dollars and have or will throw out tons of hinges, drawer slides, bed rails, metal drawer knobs. we sold good solid utility shelves for next to nothing.

Worth the look if you can find one and remember, they advertise that they are leaving.

Allan Speers
09-15-2015, 11:22 PM
This reminds me of years ago when Martin guitars moved their operation just a few miles down the road. This was a few years before the CITES treaty, and Brazilian Rosewood was so cheap at that time, they dumped their entire supply, plus all the mahogany, Spruce, etc, into the dumpster, rather than have to load it into trucks for the 5 minute journey.

Evidently, they did this every day for a few weeks, with some of the employees pulling out everything they could carry each night. There are some guys still living off the proceeds from selling that wood post-CITES.

True story. I used to know one of those guys personally.

Jim Dwight
09-16-2015, 8:31 AM
Another good place for dumpster diving is around a college at semester break and especially at the end of the school year. It's low end stuff, typically, but lots of families dispose of the furniture rather than move it.

Dan Hintz
09-16-2015, 9:58 AM
John,

If there's anything left worth having, say the word. It's a two-hour drive, but for the right stuff it may be worth it.

Mike Ontko
09-16-2015, 10:20 AM
This reminds me of years ago when Martin guitars moved their operation just a few miles down the road. This was a few years before the CITES treaty, and Brazilian Rosewood was so cheap at that time, they dumped their entire supply, plus all the mahogany, Spruce, etc, into the dumpster, rather than have to load it into trucks for the 5 minute journey.

Evidently, they did this every day for a few weeks, with some of the employees pulling out everything they could carry each night. There are some guys still living off the proceeds from selling that wood post-CITES.

True story. I used to know one of those guys personally.

So it's clearly true then that, "one man's trash is another man's treasure" :)

Peter Quinn
09-16-2015, 11:54 AM
A friend and I used to go up to Brown in Providence every May just to dumpster dive. I guess some of the Ivy League kids can't be bothered to take the 8 month old radios, televisions, couches, microwaves etc to the summer storage areas in the dorms and pay the marginal fee...better to toss it all and get new in the fall anyway! Better for me and my friend too....those kids tossed some nice stuff. Just like seagulls you have the occasional skirmish between the professional pickers and the ambitious amateurs, adds to the excitement! I wonder if the Eco beaten generation of today still hucks all their stuff?

Matt Day
09-16-2015, 1:16 PM
Most schools these days have organizations that repurpose all that stuff rather than let it go in the trash.

Malcolm McLeod
09-16-2015, 1:24 PM
If you are of a mind to dumpster dive look for furniture stores going out of business. I work for one and we are closing in a few days and the amount of usable stuff we are throwing out is heartbreaking. We sold all sorts of usable tools for dollars and have or will throw out tons of hinges, drawer slides, bed rails, metal drawer knobs. we sold good solid utility shelves for next to nothing.

Worth the look if you can find one and remember, they advertise that they are leaving.

John,
Sorry to hear of the closing; hope you land on your feet.

You could advise owner/management that many organizations might help with keeping things out of landfill. And be of benefit to needy.

Habitat for Humanity and Goodwill come to mind; Boy Scouts might help haul, so that your business doesn't incur more costs...?