PDA

View Full Version : Cutting or Engraving ABS Plastic

Bill George
09-15-2015, 6:33 PM
Yes I did a Search. Seems ABS is too short and it does not work. Anyway does cutting or engraving ABS cause bad things to happen to your machine or you?

Dave Sheldrake
09-15-2015, 6:44 PM
Cuts and engraves like play-doh :( the hazards are there but not as bad as pvc (I still won't cut it without normal PVC scrubbers in use though)

http://www.plasticsmadesimple.com/DataSheets/ABS_MSDS_GP.pdf

Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene

Scott Shepherd
09-15-2015, 7:13 PM
It cuts and engraves, but it's quite melty. The edge tends to roll up a big burr and the cut edge has a weird finish on it, not smooth like acrylic. It cuts though. It's not something I do a lot of but from time to time, a few customers have jobs they bring in with it.

Joe Pelonio
09-15-2015, 7:28 PM
Same here, 1/16" and less is fine with water-misted transfer tape on it, the thicker it gets the uglier. Engraving requires 2+ passes but looks good if you use a textured surface ABS such as pebble or leather.

Bill George
09-15-2015, 8:09 PM
Same here, 1/16" and less is fine with water-misted transfer tape on it, the thicker it gets the uglier. Engraving requires 2+ passes but looks good if you use a textured surface ABS such as pebble or leather.

I was thinking a 3D printed something and it could have a light engraving, no cutting. Thanks for the input.

Scott Shepherd
09-15-2015, 8:10 PM
That'll work, just go easy on it and it'll be fine.

Kev Williams
09-16-2015, 11:26 AM
I won't even bother lasering ABS, all the laser does is 'push' the material around. ABS doesn't tool engrave all that great either.

My main use for the stuff is sacrificial, it goes under the aluminum sheets I machine into operator panels.

Clark Pace
09-16-2015, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=Kev Williams;2468115]I won't even bother lasering ABS, all the laser does is 'push' the material around. ABS doesn't tool engrave all that great either.

My main use for the stuff is sacrificial, it goes under the aluminum sheets I machine into operator panels.[/QUOT

Before i learned about the health hazards is used to cut abs often. It always cut well for me. And i could engrave it with pretty decent succes. None high detail stuff like text or simple logos

Dave Sheldrake
09-16-2015, 1:33 PM
Bill, the abs wire used in extruder 3d printers is often quite different to normal abs sheet.

Bill George
09-16-2015, 2:37 PM
I did some samples today and it looked fine, might need a little more power next time around but it works.

David Somers
09-16-2015, 3:15 PM
Dave,

You are playing with 3D printing now aren't you? How far have you taken it? Just curious.

Dave

Dave Sheldrake
09-16-2015, 4:10 PM
Dave,

You are playing with 3D printing now aren't you? How far have you taken it? Just curious.

Dave

I've had a Z-corp Z650 for some time now and a couple of CEL robox models recently but to be honest it's all rather slow for anything near production work. The Z-Corp is expensive to run in consumables and the CEL models aren't particularly accurate.

It will come with time ;)

Tony Lenkic
09-16-2015, 5:10 PM
Bill,

Rowmark rotary engravable stock is ABS (as per their spects).
It does laser cut but not as good as laser stock sheets. Some colors can be laser engraved with good results as well.

Kev Williams
09-16-2015, 5:36 PM
This is the ABS I'm talking about-- While Rowmark might be ABS, it's nothing like THIS stuff, which is basic 1/16" thick black ABS sheet, dull smooth back, mottled front.

Did some test engravings with my 40w LS900--as it says: 50 power 100 speed, 100 both, and 100 power 50 speed. 500 LPI, 800 DPI...

On the mottled side you can barely tell anything happened

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/abs1.jpg

Shows up on the back side, it does "mark" okay, but not what I'd call 'high quality'...

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/abs2.jpg

Close up, shows how the stuff mostly just melts. And it smells like burnt cat pi**, it's horrible!

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/abs3.jpg

David Somers
09-16-2015, 5:38 PM
Dave, Another silly question for you. Where does your quote come from in your signature? I feel like I should know it but can't find a reference to it anywhere? Just curious....like always! <grin>

Dave Sheldrake
09-16-2015, 5:52 PM
Dave, Another silly question for you. Where does your quote come from in your signature? I feel like I should know it but can't find a reference to it anywhere? Just curious....like always! <grin>

Kids TV show of the late 60's early 70's called "Mr Ben" :)

David Somers
09-16-2015, 7:13 PM
Thanks Dave! So it was a British Show! That explains why I couldn't find a reference to it here. Sounds like a fun premise for a kids show! Now if I can just figure out why it seemed like I should know the phrase? <grin>