PDA

View Full Version : My New Tape Measure... MUST HAVE!!

Jeff Sudmeier
08-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Well, as many of you know, I work for Lands' End in Dodgeville, WI. We are a direct apparel merchant, selling to middle to high income folks. Imagine my suprise when I found my new tape measure in our catalog!!

Here she is:
http://aka.landsend.com/is/image/LandsEnd/97466_AE04_M1_SNS009999_M.jpg

Tape Measure (http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_1943_59478_114576_93023_5:view=-1,00.html?CM_MERCH=PAGE_47577&sid=4225187384769134071)

You can even get it customized with your initials for only $5 more!!

LOL what will they think of next?? Leather covered carpenter's pencil and speed square?? :)

Disclaimer: (I do work for Lands' End, however, the point of this post isn't to sell these tape measures, it is to laugh at what they will come up with :))

Jim Becker
08-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Hey...that will match the Lands End shoes I'm wearing right now! Kewel...LOL!! :D

Seriously, that really is a nice looking tape measure. But I gotta ask...why is it not available in the color it's pictured? Only red and black at the link...

Jeff Sudmeier
08-25-2005, 11:04 AM
:) It used to be available in the color pictured, but the owner's of the content haven't yet updated the image.

Yes I know!!, us IT guys should change the code to automotically change the image :)

Mike Weaver
08-25-2005, 11:05 AM
...But I gotta ask...why is it not available in the color it's pictured? Only red and black at the link...

That picture was BEFORE finishing. :D
Jim, as moderator of the Finishing Forum, you shoulda spotted THAT... ;)

Cheers,
-Mike

Jim Becker
08-25-2005, 1:51 PM
That picture was BEFORE finishing.
Jim, as moderator of the Finishing Forum, you shoulda spotted THAT...

I only think in moderation...that little thing you mentioned escaped my conciousness apparently... :o:p

Ellen Benkin
08-25-2005, 2:51 PM
I'm not sure the leather bound model is necessary, but I'm sure someone will give me one for Christmas. I have found that little tapes like this are handy to keep in a desk at work. Someone always needs to measure something and this is perfectly adequate. I only wish they'd made it a full 4'.

Dale Rodabaugh
08-25-2005, 3:36 PM
That looks like another GOTTA HAVE.Good way to impress your friends.:cool: :cool: :eek:

Donnie Raines
08-25-2005, 4:04 PM
We are a direct apparel merchant, selling to middle to high income folks.

]

Hey...I buy from your company....does that mean I am rich I don't even no it..... :confused: :rolleyes: :D

Vaughn McMillan
08-25-2005, 4:48 PM
Jeff, I have a few questions:

The catalog says "Choose from fun vegetable-tanned leather colors!"

Which fun vegetables are they referring to? Who decides whether a veggie is fun or not? Is a tomato more fun than an eggplant? These are important questions, don'tcha know? :D

I'd buy one if it came in cauliflower color, but as you and I both know, cauliflower is not fun. Bummer. :(

- Vaughn

Mike Parzych
08-25-2005, 5:00 PM
I'd get one, but I don't feel like losing a more expensive tape measure.

Gail O'Rourke
08-25-2005, 5:01 PM
I won't even ask how much...

Too pretty for shop, but maybe for my purse, wouldn't my customers be surprised...

Don Baer
08-25-2005, 5:05 PM
Gail,
I don't think it comes in Pink.

Norman Hitt
08-25-2005, 5:27 PM
Hey Jeff, That's Really a Practical Tool, you see. They designed it so if you live up North, it doesn't Freeze your fingers when you pick it up in the winter time like the regular metal cased ones do, AND if you live down south, it doesn't burn your fingers when you pick it up after you forget and lay it down in the direct sun for 5 minutes between measurements. :mad: Now the "fun" colors..... :confused: , maybe you are supposed to choose a color that Contrasts against the color of ANYTHING that you work with, for folks (like me) :o that can't remember where I laid it down 30 seconds after using it. :D I guess the Fun part is that you actually found it in less than 30 minutes. :rolleyes:

Heck, I think they may have a "Real Winner" there, (that is, if they remember to note all these "outstanding features", (better known as "Madison Ave Ad SPIN") in the Catalogue. :D

Jim Becker
08-25-2005, 5:59 PM
I won't even ask how much...

Twelve bucks, Gail...

Per Swenson
08-25-2005, 6:36 PM
Jeff,

Nice Tape.

But I think the only time I will find a use for it,

is when I am at Lands End,

or wits end.

Which ever comes first.

Per

Todd Burch
08-25-2005, 10:35 PM
From looking at the picture, it just doesn't look like a tape I would use. The mylar (it is mylar, isn't it?) looks pretty narrow compared to the size of the tang. My guess is that the tang doesn't have oval holes so that it would properly measure an inside and outside distance the same.

Since we're on the topic of goofy tape measures, my MIL (bless her heart.... that's Southern Baptist for "she's so stupid") gave me a big ol' honkin' Black and Decker electric tape measure. If I carried it on my pants pocket, I have to start wearing suspenders. I would have to walk through doors sideways too. I mean - who thinks of these things anyways???

Todd

Charlie Plesums
08-26-2005, 12:06 AM
...if you live up North, it doesn't Freeze your fingers when you pick it up in the winter time like the regular metal cased ones do, AND if you live down south, it doesn't burn your fingers when you pick it up after you forget and lay it down in the direct sun for 5 minutes between measurements. :mad:

Metal case? I haven't had a metal case tape for 30 years or more. Just plastic in imitation metal colors. And if you use them too long before losing them the imitation metal wears off. Of course even the plastic tapes get too hot in the Texas sun. :mad: