PDA

View Full Version : Best finish that can be cleaned with bleach?

Bryan Hunt
09-15-2015, 4:35 PM
What finish would you use if it had to be cleaned with bleach? Think hospital environment. This finish would be the top coat over some sort of artistic paint. I don't know the type of wood yet, but my first guess is 1/2" birch plywood.

Scott T Smith
09-15-2015, 5:17 PM
What finish would you use if it had to be cleaned with bleach? Think hospital environment. This finish would be the top coat over some sort of artistic paint. I don't know the type of wood yet, but my first guess is 1/2" birch plywood.

I defer to Scott Holmes but one finish that I would explore is a post catalyzed conversion varnish. Reputedly this is one of the most chemical and moisture resistant finishes commonly available to professional finishers.

Steve Jenkins
09-15-2015, 6:27 PM
I did a bunch of paneling and cabinetry for a hospital and the architect specified post catalyzed polyurethane. If there is a designer or architect involved I would ask for their input. Probably either post catalyzed conversion varnish or the other one I mentioned. Then get them to sign off on it in writing. Voice of experience speaking.

David Hawxhurst
09-15-2015, 10:29 PM
post catalyzed polyurethane (2k) would be the most efficient for most of. they are some other finish that are as durable but are much harder to use extremely short pot life or need specialized equipment light uv curing systems.

i use a exterior rated 2k urethane from delta labs. the only thing is the hazmat shipping costs are fairly steep. think they can get about 4 gals and a quart in one box. so you could get 3 gals urethane, 1 gal reducer/thinner and a quart of catalyst in one box which would make it cost effective.