PDA

View Full Version : Amsterdam NY lumber yard question

Roger Myers
08-25-2005, 9:53 AM
Has anybody done any business with CyTech in Amsterdam NY (visible from the interstate). Looks like I will be passing by there several times a year and wondering what creekers experience with them is.. They have a website but hard to tell too much from it. I'm always interested in good sources for cherry and maple and since I'll be hitting the I90 drive between Utica and Boston several times a year I'd also be interested in any other smaller mills in the area...
Thanks,

Roger

lou sansone
08-25-2005, 11:16 AM
me too.

lou

Joe Jansen
08-25-2005, 11:24 PM
Not sure of cytech in Amsterdam but have seen it from 90

Curtis lunber in Balston Spa has an excellent supply of all types of wood. Some nice exotics also.

http://www.curiouswoods.com/ is the web site.

Located up 87N in Balton Spa I think.

Joe

Roger Myers
08-26-2005, 11:10 AM
Joe - thanks for the source, I looked at the site and added my name to their e-mail list. Wouldn't be out of the way if I took the scenic route home so I think I will plan to stop there. Guess I will have to check out cytech on my own...from their web-site they give the impression that they would be good to work with.

anybody else... Lou and I are still seeking input on mills in the area that might be of interest! We are far enough away that we won't take all the good stuff!

I'll offer up one of my favorites a bit further south, and that is Irion lumber in Wellsboro PA (near the NY border) great source for wide and/or figured cherry, mahog., and maple.... not inexpensive but the material is worth the price.

Roger

Kurt Aebi
08-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Roger,

Check your travel route and if it brings you anywhere near North Springfield, VT - stop buy, I'd love to have ya. From their directions on the Curtis Lumber site, they look to be exactly west of here (round about a little to drive there, but as the crow flies - due west).

Ned Bulken
08-26-2005, 1:40 PM
Has anybody done any business with CyTech in Amsterdam NY (visible from the interstate). Looks like I will be passing by there several times a year and wondering what creekers experience with them is.. They have a website but hard to tell too much from it. I'm always interested in good sources for cherry and maple and since I'll be hitting the I90 drive between Utica and Boston several times a year I'd also be interested in any other smaller mills in the area...
Thanks,

Roger

Utica, my home town!

I haven't dealt with CyTech, but I may know someone over on the WWA who may have. I'll check with him and see. edit- Um, scratch that. Joe is the guy I was thinking of who lived over thataways. oh well.

Next time you're out Utica way, and if you have a bit of spare time, drop a line, My shop is just over in Canastota, about 20 minutes further. I work wierd hours, but get plenty of time off, so can most likely work something out as to when and how to meet up.

also, if you're in for a bit longer of a drive, check out Lakeshore Hardwoods (http://www.lakeshorehardwoods.com) up in Pulaski. (North of Syracuse). Brian is the proprietor there and he's a great guy to work with. And he does mail order too. Cherry is the specialty of the house, but he has all sorts of nice supplies of maple, spalted maple, walnut, butternut, you name it he deals in it, even Lyptus!

Joe Jansen
08-26-2005, 4:46 PM
Roger
I know of some other small saw mills up in the adirondacks, Strtford area. They carry different woods at diiferent times. I will check on there cheery. What are you looking for? I will look for directions also. I can get there but have to look at roads.
I live about 15 miles east of Utica.

Joe

Roger Myers
08-26-2005, 7:47 PM
Joe - Never know what I'm looking for until I see it... :) But I work mostly with cherry and maple, occasionaly mahog. and walnut...and exotics if the mood strikes me. I enjoy checking out the smaller mills and also getting to know the people that are running them.

Kurt - you can count on me taking the scenic route someday just so I can stop by. My wife prefers the VT route out anyways... :)

Ned - Thanks for the invite... I'll be sure to stay in contact. My actual destination is Canton, NY (daughter is in school there) and from there I also head south to some of my companys factories in PA. Syracuse is certainly in range, so I'll check out Lakeshore as well!

Thanks guys!!

lou sansone
08-26-2005, 8:11 PM
I don't want to speak for roger, but my wood buying philosophy has along these lines. I look for the out of the way places that have real low overhead - single guy most of the time or a farmer who has access to saw logs. I know about some of the mills that have been mentioned here and elsewere on SMC. Most are "retail/ wholesale" pricing places, especially the ones that sell to hobby guys. This can be a two edged sword. They definetly have decent wood, but you are going to pay. The last time I went to one of them for curly cherry I ended up paying 80 bucks for one stinking board! I have not been back since. But they will sell you just one board if that is all you want. For many this is the best way for them. The method I use now is sort of wasteful, but it does allow me to get some pretty decent wood at very reasonable prices. I have a couple of sources that I currently use once a year at this point. I give them a wish list of wood - usually in 500 bd foot minimums, and then usually in the fall make the trip to pick up the logs or lumber. I like to take back 4000 lbs at a time if I can. All of that just gets stickered or sawn and stickered and then finally put away. The problem with that is I end up with a lot of wood that I hate to sell. I think I may have some mental problem. I do have about 500 bd feet of curly maple that I probably should just sell off because it is just taking up space. the price will be real good for someone who takes it all.

lou