PDA

View Full Version : white oak

Scott Welty
09-15-2015, 6:39 AM
Have a client who would like some shelving/cabinets made of white oak (maybe) to go with the white oak flooring they're putting in. Typically I build case work and shelving from veneer plywood with hardwood frames and trim. I can find white oak easily enough but white oak veneer plywood seems rare. Source or solution?

Joe O'Connor
09-15-2015, 7:29 AM
I get my plywood from johnsons lumber in Charlotte mi, they have white oak listed on their website.

Brian Tymchak
09-15-2015, 7:55 AM
I can get it at Woodwerks (http://thisiswoodworking.com/shop-by-application/lumber.html) here in Columbus, OH. Even QSWO ply. Not inexpensive though. 3/4" @ ~ $140.

If you add your location to your profile, you might get some answers for your general area.

Bill Adamsen
09-15-2015, 7:56 AM
You should be able to find plywood with virtually all the common White oak faces (rift-sawn, plain-sawn, quarter-sawn). Many choose White oak on account of the flecking imparted by the medullary rays. So it is probably important to work with the client to determine what character they seek, and then devise a plan using milled wood and sheet-stock to meet that. Boulter Plywood (Boston area) shows stocking both rift and quarter-sawn sheet-goods. Condons (New York) stocks White oak in rift, plain and quarter-sawn.

Rod Sheridan
09-15-2015, 8:30 AM
Have a client who would like some shelving/cabinets made of white oak (maybe) to go with the white oak flooring they're putting in. Typically I build case work and shelving from veneer plywood with hardwood frames and trim. I can find white oak easily enough but white oak veneer plywood seems rare. Source or solution?

My local supplier has it in plain and quarter sawn veneer..........Rod.

Jeff Ramsey
09-15-2015, 8:34 AM
http://www.fessendenhall.com/

Randy Red Bemont
09-15-2015, 9:27 AM
It's an every day item at the warehouse. You should have no trouble finding it.

Red

Peter Quinn
09-15-2015, 10:18 AM
We are at the tail end of doing an entire house in it, mostly rift saw but some flat sawn too. Definetly dont sell 1/4 sawn without approved stain samples, some people love Ray fleck, some hate it, best to clear that up in the beginning. Should not be hard to find from a professional plywood distributor, we are on our second lift!

Bud Millis
09-15-2015, 11:18 AM
Why not use plywood for the cabinets and face frame with solid oak?

Clint Baxter
09-15-2015, 5:42 PM
Renneberg Hardwoods in MN, http://www.renneberghardwoods.com/documents/RHI%20HARDWOOD_MELAMINE%20CATALOG.pdf, also has in flat, rift and quarter sawn.

Clint

Kent Adams
09-15-2015, 5:55 PM

Scott, the Creek is international and all over the US. It would be helpful if you told folks where you are.