PDA

View Full Version : A computer thought for you

David Somers
09-14-2015, 11:18 PM
Hey gang,

Since I got back on the forum again I have noticed a number of people, mostly newcomers, talk about the wealth of info available on the forum and how they were writing all these ideas down in a notebook for future reference?

A quick idea for you. Since most of us are using PC's and Windows remember if you are using Windows 8.x or higher you are getting a copy of Microsoft OneNote with your Operating System. It is a very good and versatile tool for keeping all kinds of stuff (URL's Screen shots, etc) you pick up off the web, as well as for typing notes into. It is a fairly free form system and most everything is searchable which is a wonderful tool for random notes like this.

Another thought that actually is my preference given the way I work, is a free web based product called Workflowy.com. Since it is web based it is independent of Operating System or platform. Windows or Linux or Apple is fine so long as you have a browser and web access. It is a simple note taking system in which everything is searchable. It makes heavy use of an outline format with indenting and outdenting. What you type in is saved right then so you dont have to remember to save. It is powerful but also very simple so it doesnt interfere with you as you make notes. I have used it for years now and have come to really appreciate it. For use with Sawmill Creek I generally either copy and paste from an individual post into workflowy, or if there is a lot in a thread that interests me, which is often the case, I will copy the URL from my browsers address bar and first type in a topic in Workflowy, then drop down and make an indent and paste in the URL. Now I have access to the entire thread rather than just the one post. My collection of entries on the laser is big now and covers a ton of topics. But I can find things in it very quickly. I do have all laser things under the heading Laser since I have many other types of notes in it as well. Under laser I have tighter topics like Acrylics and Wood and Lenses and Tubes etc etc. And within each of those is an indented sub topic and the information I typed or copied in.

There are other things out there that you may like as well. Play with them and see if they work better for you than a handwritten notebook. They may not....but always worth a try.

Dave

John Bion
09-15-2015, 9:43 AM
HI Dave, This is an excellent suggestion! :) Another product that is useful (horses for courses, courses for horses) is a product called “Evernote”. We use this across Windows/Mac OS.
Regards, John

David Somers
09-15-2015, 3:36 PM
Good addition John! I do like Evernote!

Hope all is well up in the UK!!!

Chris J Anderson
09-15-2015, 5:36 PM
Is there something that we could all use / edit as a group ?

We could set some standards, and then the resources would be available to everybody.

(or have I missed the point and thats already suggested above)...

cheers,
Chris

Jack Clague
09-15-2015, 6:48 PM
Is there something that we could all use / edit as a group ?

We could set some standards, and then the resources would be available to everybody.

(or have I missed the point and thats already suggested above)...

cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

setting up a google documents via googledocs can be done for settings of laser materials, if anyone is interested in a community driven material settings spreadsheet I am more than happy to start one, I have a fair experience with excel / database work

David Somers
09-15-2015, 6:53 PM
Hey Chris,

My first thought in posting this was that each of us has particular topics that interest us. I might be really into the use of my laser to remove unwanted tattoos and body hair (just kidding!!!!). You may be interested in doing wine glasses, etc. I was looking at simpler, more easily searched ways of setting info aside that interested an individual without resorting to a pen and notebook.

For what I think you are describing Chris we have SMC itself as our pile of information. The trick is learning how to search effectively through it. Perhaps we could come up with a sticky for the engraving forum that details the most effective search methods, and perhaps an entry in the sticky that is a kind of glossary of terms we all use a newby might not know yet. That would certainly reduce the effectiveness of their searches.

Any thoughts on this folks? Or did I miss interpret what you were asking for Chris?

William Adams
09-15-2015, 9:31 PM
On the forum for a hobby-level CNC machine I work on, there’s a matching wiki which is a structured overview of the relevant topics. Esp. good forum posts get linked to from the wiki, so it’s simple to find all the relevant posts on a given topic.