PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Laguna LT18 Rack & Pinion Guide Loose

David Utterback
09-14-2015, 5:09 PM
The upper guide on the LT18 is firm from the upper limit to about half way down. Then it is quite loose and can be moved side to side by about 1/2" or more. When tightened in place at the lowest reach, the guide bearings are shifted about 3/8" to the right. The right guide bearing must be adjusted all the way out in order to not make contact with the blade.

Can the rack and pinion be adjusted to remove the slack? If not adjusted, can the rack and pinion be replaced with an aftermarket product? I would greatly appreciate any guidance or references that you can give me.

Thanks,
David

Bill ThompsonNM
09-16-2015, 5:24 PM
That sounds like a problem! I can't imagine anyone making an aftermarket product for that application. I just looked at my LT18 similar vintage, you can't see much of the rack and pinion but I would guess that it includes some sort of multiple bearing surfaces to limit the shafts range of motion. Sounds more like something is broken, not out of adjustment. I would call Laguna I've always had good luck with their customer service. They can probably get your machine back up to speed.

Bill ThompsonNM
09-18-2015, 1:54 AM
After more thought, If you want to try to figure it out without customer service, I'd start by pulling it all of the way out. Unfortunately that might require removing the table but then you could look up and see the path it goes through. I'm still betting on something bent or broken. Maybe a previous owner dropped the machine or something and didn't do a very good repair. To get access to the path otherwise it appears the upper well has to come off.

The advantage of calling Laguna is they know the details. I called them before I bought a used machine and they were of great help even though I didn't even have a machine from them at all!