PDA

View Full Version : moving a bandsaw

Wes Ramsey
09-14-2015, 5:08 PM
I found a good deal on a G0513X2 and am ready to pull the trigger. What is the best way to move it? I was thinking of building a couple of rolling movers and lay it over on its side. That way I can just roll it up onto the trailer, but I want to make sure it won't cause any ill effects putting weight on the side of the saw. Is there a better way?

Matt Day
09-14-2015, 5:13 PM
I'd put it on its spine and brace it with straps. That's how I lived my 20" 1000# BS. No worries with the spine twisting or anything then.

Shawn Pachlhofer
09-14-2015, 5:18 PM
I've got the same saw, purchased used - and moved it just like Matt Day said.

Remove table
lay saw on spine in back of truck
strap down

glenn bradley
09-14-2015, 6:52 PM
I moved mine (purchased used) standing up but, had a lift gate enclosed truck with tie rails on the inside walls. If the trailer is deep enough to tie to the sides or front wall I would leave it upright. If I had to lay it down would do as has been mentioned.

daryl moses
09-14-2015, 6:54 PM
When I purchased my Rikon I took along two old truck tires and laid the saw down in the bed of my truck onto the tires.

Tom M King
09-14-2015, 7:17 PM
321457Here's how I moved a Centauro 600 this weekend. I took the tailgate off at home for fear it might get bent. Nosed the truck up to a light pole, hooked up a Maasdam rope puller about 14 feet up the pole with a borrowed ladder, put 4" foam moving mattress wrapped in a blue tarp down for it to tip over onto and slide in the truck on, and the rope puller eased it right into the truck. I backed the truck up to it to start with, and took the table off sliding it into the bed. I put a couple of tires on the motor side so it wouldn't flop over too hard on the truck bed. I used the aluminum floor jack I brought, with a piece of 2x I cut, to lift the bottom (now back) to slide the mattress out It was almost effortless for me, but the seller pushed it a couple of hundred feet across the parking lot on small castor wheels to where the pole was while I rigged up the rope puller. This is a 6 or 700 pound bandsaw. To say it's robustly built is an understatement. I'll unload it with the tractor front end loader. That's the only picture I took of the move.

Bill Adamsen
09-14-2015, 7:30 PM
Tom, you are a madman for sure. Nice saw and you will learn to love it.

Here is a photo of moving mine .. I think a 700. Getting it on the trailer was a lot of work. I had to jack the trailer up to match the height of the loading dock, brace with blocking, then slide the saw (already bolted to pallet) onto the trailer. The total height was too high for my shop entry so I pulled the pallet off the trailer with a come-along as shown in the photo. Without the two friends at the shop where I bought it, I would have never been successful getting it on the pallet. Also, I only had to drive 15 miles ... I wouldn't have wanted to drive too many more than that with the saw vertical.

Wes, put it back on its spine as others have suggested

Tom M King
09-14-2015, 7:38 PM
Yeah, I drove 311 miles, so I laid mine down. I didn't want to pull a trailer that far. Nice size comparison with the 14 incher in the picture.

Matt Day
09-14-2015, 8:04 PM
Tom, curious why you didn't take out the bed box so it would slide in further. I admittedly have no idea how hard it is to remove one though.

Tom M King
09-14-2015, 9:44 PM
It's full of tools, big for a truck toolbox, and heavy. It has a lot of "get home" stuff in it, so I didn't want to make a trip without it. It still left 67", and even with some clearance behind the toolbox, the axle for the bottom wheel was inside the bed. In short, no advantage to going to the trouble.

Wes Ramsey
09-15-2015, 4:10 PM
Thanks guys! I will post a tool gloat after Saturday :D