PDA

View Full Version : I did A little installation tonight

Bart Leetch
08-25-2005, 2:08 AM
Zoweeeeee I think this spinny thing has got ahold on me. Spinny things seem to need to be fed with sharp tools so here is what I added.

Tom Mullane
08-25-2005, 7:39 AM
Very nice set up Bart... only suggestion I would make is to replace that gray wheel with another white one..... the white wheels cut cooler and smoother and give you longer tool life....
My set up has 60 and 120 grit wheels on it...

Keith Burns
08-25-2005, 8:06 AM
Great addition. I love mine, couldn't get along without it. I agree, ditch the gray wheel.

Jim Becker
08-25-2005, 10:13 AM
Good choice, Bart. Even the pros who eschewed sharpening jigs for years use these things now. You not only want sharp tools...you want sharp tools that are consistant each time they come off the wheel. It also helps one concentrate on a "light touch" while the jig helps hold the tool. Highly recommended and an investment that will pay back in many ways.

I'll also pile on relative to the grey wheel. (Unless it's the unusual grey multi-grit wheel that MSC sells). I run 100 grit and 80 grit on my primary lathe grinder. I like the 100 grit better than a 120...less heating and for turning, gives a great edge quickly. I have another grinder that I keep a 60 grit for tool making (as well as the mower blades) and a 120 grit for occasional touch ups of some very fine tools that can get eaten quickly by a courser stone.

Jason Solodow
08-26-2005, 10:13 PM
On the subject of the white wheels, has anyone noticed them clogging fast? I have the white wheels that came with my 8" slow speed grinder from Woodcraft and I've been noticed that they seem to clog really fast with the result that the edge gets hot and blues fast.... anyone else noticed this???

John Hart
08-27-2005, 6:12 AM
Nice Bart...That's probably my next purchase...I gotta find some money!!! Until then, I'm stuck with my steady hand and eagle eye (what a disaster):)

Alan Turner
08-27-2005, 6:53 AM
Jason,
I have a white wheel, and it has never clogged at all. It does, however, wear very quickly.

Bart Leetch
08-27-2005, 11:35 AM
On the subject of the white wheels, has anyone noticed them clogging fast? I have the white wheels that came with my 8" slow speed grinder from Woodcraft and I've been noticed that they seem to clog really fast with the result that the edge gets hot and blues fast.... anyone else noticed this???

I wonder if it has anything to do with whether the tool being carbon steel or high speed steel?

Jim Becker
08-27-2005, 12:21 PM
I wonder if it has anything to do with whether the tool being carbon steel or high speed steel?

That could be contributing, Bart. And you DON'T want to blue carbon steel. Not really an issue with HHS, however.