PDA

View Full Version : How to make cabinet door frames for glass

J.R. Rutter
09-14-2015, 3:09 PM
I had two large glass frames to make last Friday to match a set of raised panel cherry cabinet doors. Seeing as it is Monday, I thought I would share my process:

Carefully select two matching flat planks of cherry with minimal sap on back for the panels.

S4S, crosscut, pre-plane to thickness because finished panels are over 24" wide, and glue up for best grain flow, along with the rest of the doors.

Trim to size, widebelt, raise edges, ROS profiles

Process cope and stick as normal.

Glue up all doors and leave 1/2 hour early, because Friday (YAY!)

On Monday, widebelt, bump sand ends, run outside edge profile and check over paperwork in preparation for doing invoice.

Notice original order say "frames for glass." Practice nautical vocabulary.

Drill each corner on the big panels. Jigsaw 1/4" away from inside of frame, snap out remains of panel, rout out back of frame with 1/2" rebate bit in router table.

That's how we roll sometimes on Monday. Laughing now...

Mike Ontko
09-14-2015, 3:18 PM
Only human afterall? Seems like the related thread "Unthinking mistakes (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?235220-Unthinking-mistakes)" posted earlier last week must've got stuck in the back of your mind.

I'll bet you ended up with was a couple beautiful pieces of cherry out of that process though, good maybe for a matching set of coasters? :)

J.R. Rutter
09-14-2015, 4:12 PM
Big coasters! Frames were 32" x 38."

So you are in Ferndale? That's where my shop is.

peter gagliardi
09-14-2015, 4:31 PM
Now that was funny! Painfully funny, from past experience, but funny nonetheless!

Rod Sheridan
09-14-2015, 4:48 PM
"Practice nautical vocabulary"............LOL..........Priceless............Than ks for sharing that J.R...................regards, Rod.

Peter Quinn
09-14-2015, 9:54 PM
You had me wondering why you were prepping raised panels for glass frames...now I'm laughing and crying.

LOL...sounds like we had the same weekend....or similar. I went in Saturday to put the pedal down on a set of large vanities that include 16 dovetail drawers, 8 narrow and 8 wider ones for a his/hers situation. Did all the drawer prep, sanded....lets see how they fit in the hole....opening MINUS 3/8"......oh did I forget to subtract that 3/8" for the slides.......insert nautical vagaries and unpleasantries here.....and the pile of maple has been completely buried in storage.....AHHHHHHHH..........more nautical nonsense and speaking in tongues.........break early on Sat, Monday is a new day! Decide to tune up dovetail machine today after prepping new stock.....wow thats a fun job....now I remember why I never volunteer for that.....luckily I had lots of test pieces!

J.R. Rutter
09-15-2015, 11:51 AM
Fun stuff... I think my root cause for stuff like this is increasingly my need for bifocals. B)

mreza Salav
09-15-2015, 12:03 PM
I had a good laugh....thanks for sharing. At least it was an easy fix.

Peter Quinn
09-15-2015, 12:55 PM
Fun stuff... I think my root cause for stuff like this is increasingly my need for bifocals. B)

I was recently prescribed reading glasses for near work and progressive trifocals for basic vision....now I need a prescription for the occasional rectal cranial inversion incident, like a pill or something?